Older person's bus pass

Find out if you can get an older person's bus pass, how to apply and answers to frequently asked questions.


We're aware of an issue affecting this web page which may result in an unsuccessful payment message being displayed after you have paid. The payment system is working, it's only the messages that are affected. Make sure that you only make the payment once as trying several times may result in multiple payments being debited from your account.

If you have tried to pay and the money has not come out of your account by the following day, use our online form to contact us or phone 01273 291 924. We can only check if payments have been successful the day after the transaction.

Concessionary Travel Team

Staff are currently working from home and are unable to offer a counter service.

We're still issuing bus passes within our normal time frames. This can currently take up to 6 weeks, from the start of your application.

Most bus passes that are due to expire will be automatically renewed and sent to customers. Some bus passes may not be automatically renewed if we need further information from you, such as proof of your new address, if you have moved.

If you have not used your bus pass within the last 12 months or are not named on the Council Tax bill then you will need to contact us to renew.

If you apply by post there may be a delay in processing your application because we're reducing staff time in the office.

Apply online if you can or upload a scanned copy of your application on our contact form. 

If you need more information, phone 01273 291 924 during our operating hours of 9am to 1:30pm Monday to Friday.

Apply for your bus pass

Eligibility for an older person's bus pass

You will be eligible for an older person’s bus pass on your 66th birthday.

Find out your eligibility date on GOV.UK.

Companion passes

Brighton & Hove City Council does not issue companion passes. Companion passes issued by other authorities are not valid for travel within Brighton & Hove.

If you're an unpaid carer, you may be able to get discounted travel from the bus company. 

Frequently asked questions 

How do I renew my bus pass?

You will receive a new bus pass automatically if your pass has been issued based on your age. If you have not used your bus pass within the last 12 months, have moved within the last 5 years or are not named on the Council Tax bill then you will need to contact us by email or phone to renew.

If you haven't received your renewed bus pass 2 weeks before your pass expires, phone us on 01273 291 924. If you leave a voicemail, a member of staff will phone you back between 9:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday. Alternatively, contact us via our online form with your full name, date of birth and current address so we can look into this for you.

If you have moved out of Brighton and Hove, you will need to let us know and apply for a new bus pass with your current Local Authority.

What should I do if I lose my bus pass?

If you would like to order a replacement, the easiest way to do this is online.

You’ll be charged £10 for a replacement bus pass. This fee is non-refundable.

What should I do if my bus pass is damaged or not working?

You will need to order a replacement and return your damaged bus pass to us.

The easiest way to order a replacement is online.

There is no charge for this if the damaged pass is returned. If we do not receive the damaged pass back it will be classed as lost and a charge of £10 will be payable.

What should I do if my bus pass is stolen?

You can request a replacement bus pass if you have a crime reference number.

The easiest way to order a replacement is online.

You’ll be charged £10 for a replacement bus pass. This fee is non-refundable.

Where and when can I use the bus pass?

Location When Weekends and bank holidays
Brighton & Hove 9am to 3:59am All day
Rest of England 9.30am to 11pm All day

Find information about Brighton & Hove night buses.

You can’t use your bus pass on trains, sightseeing buses, scheduled coach services, or outside of England.

How to apply for an older person's bus pass

The easiest way to apply for a bus pass is online.

You can also download an application form and post this to us with your supporting documentation. 

Brighton & Hove City Council are unable to refund bus pass fares while applications for new or replacement passes are being processed.

Please note that the bus passes are not made at Hove Town Hall. We need to order them from a separate company who will then send it to you directly.

To apply you will need:

  • proof of your age
  • proof of your address
  • a photograph of you

If you are sending these documents by post please only send photocopies. Brighton & Hove City Council cannot be held responsible for documents that are lost in the post.

Proof of your age - This must show your current name and date of birth:

  • birth certificate and marriage certificate if applicable
  • driving licence – current or expired, photocard only
  • passport – current or expired
  • residence permit

Proof of your address in Brighton & Hove - This must be dated within the last 12 months.

This can be any letter which has been sent to you. A Council Tax bill can be used if it is dated for the current year.


You will need one recent passport-style colour photograph with a plain light background. A photograph may be taken on a smartphone or camera and emailed to us. Headwear, unless for religious or medical purposes, and sunglasses are not to be worn.

Report a hate incident

Report hate incidents in a confidential safe space.

Contact Possability People who will listen to you and take you seriously.

Phone 01273 894040, open 10am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.