Report anti-social behaviour and hate incidents

What we're doing to reduce and anti-social behaviour and hate incidents and how to report them.

About anti-social behaviour and hate incidents

Anti-social behaviour is behaviour that causes alarm, distress harassment to you or your family. 

This includes:

  • shouting and swearing
  • violence or threatening violence
  • verbal abuse
  • intimidation of neighbours
  • some criminal activity

What we do

Everyone in Brighton & Hove has a right to feel safe.

We work alongside partner agencies to address crime and community safety issues. 

We have dedicated staff working in the areas of:

  • racist and religiously motivated incidents and crimes
  • LGBT hate incidents and crimes
  • disability hate incidents and crimes
  • domestic violence 
  • anti-social behaviour

We will also signpost and refer to other services.

If you’ve experienced any form of hate or anti-social behaviour, report it. We will listen to you and take you seriously.

Report to Sussex Police

Phone 999 you in an emergency and ask for the police.

If it is not an emergency, contact the police phone 101 or report online.

Report to Sussex Police online

Report to Brighton & Hove City Council

Report anti-social behaviour and hate incidents online

If you would prefer to report by phone or email, use the following contact details.

If you're a council tenant, council leaseholder or tenants of a leaseholder, report anti-social behaviour and hate incidents to Housing Customer Services.

You can:

If you're a housing association tenant, report anti-social behaviour and hate incidents to your housing provider. We cannot intervene in housing association cases.

If you're a private rented sector tenant or own your home, report anti-social behaviour and hate incidents to the Community Safety Team.

You can:

What we cannot help with

We can not help if:

  • something needs an immediate response. Our team is a casework service rather than an emergency response service
  • you do not know the identity (name or address) of those involved in ASB or hate incidents. In this case you may want to report the incident to Sussex police for them to investigate. We do not have any power to require someone to provide their name, address, or date of birth.
  • a report has already been made to the police as this could interfere with a police investigation
  • drug use and drug dealing crimes are committed. These are criminal offences. Report these to Sussex Police. Phone 999 in an emergency or if the crime is taking place. Phone 101 or complete the Sussex Police form at any other time. 

Other services you can use

Report to:

ASB and hate incidents case review

The ASB case review is a process you can use to ask agencies to review their response to anti-social behaviour or hate incidents you have reported.