External Funding is money awarded from grant giving organisations such as the BIG Lottery, national or local trusts and Central Government, either directly, or through its agencies.
Funding bodies are generally keen to see evidence of partnership working between the private, statutory and voluntary sectors.
The city council is not the only source of funding to the Voluntary and Community Sector. Below are a selection of some of the major external funders for different types of work. Further external funding opportunities can be accessed by Grantfinder
A new free web based grant search facility is also available from Kent4Community and Funding Central.
A selection of frequently updated external funding information is available at Other South East Local Authority Grant and Support Services.
- The BIG Lottery Fund hands out half the good causes money from the National Lottery. For more information on current programmes, including Young People's Fund and Living Landmarks, visit the BIG Lottery Fund website at www.biglotteryfund.org.uk
- Awards for All has been relaunched to offer grants between £300 and £10,000 to projects that enable people to take part in art, sport, heritage and community activities, projects that promote education, the environment and community health. Awards for All has also identified 5 new priority outcomes (from a national list of 9) for targeting support in the South East. Call 0845 600 2040 or visit www.awardsforall.org.uk
- The Heritage Lottery Fund enables communities to celebrate, look after and learn more about Britain's diverse heritage. Call 020 7591 6000 or visit www.hlf.org.uk
- Arts Council England supports artistic projects that reflect England's rich and diverse cultural identity, improve quality of life and create opportunities for community growth. Call 0845 300 6200 or visit www.artscouncil.org.uk
- Sport England supports projects that create opportunities for people to participate and succeed in sport. Call 0845 850 8508 or visit www.sportengland.org
- Sports Match provide business sponsorship for grass roots sport on a pound for pound matching basis. Visit www.sportengland.org
- Youth Sports Trust provide information relating to youth sport programmes. Visit www.youthsporttrust.org
- Support, advice and funding information about particular sporting activities or for specific groups of people are available from Sports Foundations and Sports Trusts. These groups are too numerous to list and we suggest you search the internet.