Being outdoors and in green spaces is hugely beneficial. It will help keep you fit, relaxed and positive, which contributes to a healthy immune system.
Despite the second lockdown, you can exercise outdoors as much as you like, and can walk with your household, support bubble or one person from another household.
You can also aim to build a short brisk walk into your day. Even ten minutes a day can have a hugely positive affect on your health and wellbeing. You could also take part in our Winter Walking Challenge.
Currently these are only open to current health walkers, but if you would like to know when they are again open to new walkers please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01273 294 589.
You can also aim to build a short brisk walk into your day. Even ten minutes a day can have a hugely positive affect on your health and wellbeing.
How to get the most out of your walks
To get the most out of your walks:
- start from where you are in terms of your stamina and build up the length of your walks slowly
- start at an easy pace then try increasing to a brisk walking pace - a brisk pace should mean you feel a bit warmer, have your heart beating a bit faster and are breathing a bit faster but are still able to talk comfortably
- try wearing a stepometer or fitbit, these are proved to encourage people to walk more - your smart phone may have a step counter too, on average 2000 steps equals one mile of walking
- try downloading an exercise tracking app such as Strava or Komoot.
You can find out more about how to get the most out of your daily walk in this article by The Guardian.
Remember the safe walking rules:
- Only walk on your own or with friends or members of your household of up to 6 people, organised Healthwalks are running for up to 30 people
- Aim to keep 2 metres (6 feet) away from anyone you pass
- Avoid traveling to your walking destination and walk close to home where possible
- Consider taking antibacterial gel and a face covering if you are likely to be in busy places or to use a toilet or other facilities