About health professionals

If your child needs extra help because they have special educational needs or a disability, they may need support from a range of different health professionals.

This may include your GP, paediatricians, therapists, clinical psychologists, dieticians and specialist nurses such as health visitors, school nurses and community children’s nursing teams.

These professionals are sometimes called a multi-disciplinary team.

Support from health professionals

Health professionals working with you will be able to:

  • tell you where you can get support for your child and family
  • answer any questions you have
  • explain about symptoms and medication
  • organise any reviews and checks
  • provide health reports for EHC needs assessments
  • teach you how to support your child’s communication and language development

Contact a health professional

If you need help now, but it’s not an emergency, go to 111.nhs.uk or phone 111.

You can get contact information for your GP and other health services on the NHS website.