How early years and childcare providers support children
Nurseries, playgroups and childminders can provide advice and work with you and your child to provide support with their special educational needs or disabilities.
Help from childcare providers
Nurseries, playgroups and childminders registered with Ofsted follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework, which is explained on the GOV.UK website.
The framework states what they must do to make sure children with special educational needs or disabilities are supported to learn, develop and have the same opportunities as other children.
Help at nursery or playgroup
All nurseries and playgroups have a special educational needs coordinator (SENCO). Their job is to:
- listen to any worries you have about your child’s development
- support your child and your whole family
- advise and support other workers at the nursery or playgroup
- organise support from a local group or organisation
Assessment and support
Your child's nursery or playgroup will let you know if they think your child has special educational needs. They will use the assess, plan, do and review process to support your child, also known as graduated approach.
The nursery or playgroup will work with you to:
- assess your child’s needs
- plan support for them, focusing on the results you are aiming for
- do what’s in the plan
- review your child’s progress
Help from specialist services and nurseries
If your child has more complex needs, they may need support from:
- Brighton & Hove Inclusion Support Service (BHISS) Early Years Support Team
- specialist nursery in Brighton & Hove
Some children may also need an education, health and care (EHC) assessment.
If your child has been assessed or diagnosed at the Child Development and Disability Service at Seaside View, they may be invited to go to therapy sessions or groups to support their development.
Your child may also get extra support from the Healthy Child Programme team or Specialist Nursing Team. This may be in your own home or in your local Children's Centre.
Read the Brighton & Hove early years SEND guide for professionals for more information, and view Ofsted inspection reports for childcare providers.