Get help for children and young people who have social communication difficulties

If a child or young person does not attend school, or finds it very difficult to attend school full time because they have social communication difficulties, they could get support. We call this support our social communication resource.

Who can get support

The support is for children and young people that have certain needs and live in Brighton & Hove.

They must have social communication difficulties, this includes autism. They must also have social and emotional mental health difficulties. 

The criteria

To get support, the child or young person must: 

  • be school age - reception to year 11
  • have social communication difficulties such as autism - they may have more than one difficulty
  • have significant difficulties accessing learning and development in school
  • these difficulties are still there even after getting support and interventions
  • struggle to make progress, and/or their mental health has got worse and/or they have low school attendance
  • attend a mainstream school or want to get back to school
  • have parent carers who want to work together 

Children and young people can get support with or without an EHC plan. A child or young person cannot get help if they have a special school named on their Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan.

The support is not for families seeking to continue elective home education.

Children and young people can not get help if there is a risk assessment showing that it would not be safe.

About the Coordinators

There is a Coordinator for primary age children based at St Bartholomew’s Primary School. There is also a Coordinator for secondary age children based at Tudor House, which also offers residential short breaks. 

Each Coordinator can organise individual learning packages to help up to 15 children or young people.

The Coordinators do not provide teaching. This support is not an alternative to a school or special unit or facility.

They plan educational, social, wellbeing and health support. They will try to help the child or young person back into long term education.

About the support

We do not expect every child or young person to be at St Bartholomew’s or Tudor House full time. This is because their needs are all different.

Examples of support could include tutor sessions, help with speech and language, occupational therapy to help carry out day to day activities, and support to improve wellbeing.

The type of support and how long the child or young person receives it matches their individual needs.

The Coordinators create a personal support plan by working with the:

  • child or young person
  • school
  • parent or carer

The child or young person may not have to go to sessions at St Bartholomew’s or Tudor House. The support may take place in different locations if it's appropriate.

The Coordinators are part of the Brighton and Hove Inclusion Support Service (BHISS). They work throughout the year and have support from Educational Psychologists.

How to ask for support


To ask for support your child needs to be eligible. This means they need to match the difficulties listed in the criteria above.

If your child meets the criteria, you can ask a professional like a Special Needs Coordinator (SENCO), to help you fill in a request form.

You can ask for a form by sending an email to BHISS at, or to Amaze at You can also contact the Amaze helpline.

Amaze can also help parents and carers fill in the form. 


Professionals such as key leads in school or social care, education or health staff who support the child or young person can also ask for support. 

Professionals need to get agreement from the parents or carers of the child or young person.

What happens next

A group of professionals known as a multidisciplinary panel decide which children or young people will get support.

The group can include people from education, social care, health services, Amaze and the Parent and Carers Council (PaCC)

Who the Coordinators work with and what they aim to do

The Coordinators work with a variety of people, including:

  • parents
  • carers
  • school representatives
  • the Schools' Wellbeing Service
  • Brighton & Hove Inclusion Service - BHISS
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services - CAMHS
  • Occupational Therapy Service
  • Speech and Language Therapy Service

Together they will:

  • build positive and trusting relationships with families
  • assess of needs of each student, keep the child or young person at the centre of the process
  • use a team around the family approach
  • give educational, social, wellbeing and health support to each child or young person
  • develop creative education support linked to their learning at school
  • help the child or young person get back to school full time where possible
  • plan a transition for each child