Get a health check

Register with your GP to get a health check. They help adults, young people, children and babies stay healthy and well.

Health checks during pregnancy

You’ll be offered tests and scans when you are pregnant that look for any health problems that could affect you or your baby.

Your GP or midwife can give you more information about these tests and your options.

Health tests for babies and young children

You will be offered tests to checks your newborn baby's eyes, heart, hips and, in boys, their testicles.

You’ll also be offered regular baby health and development reviews from birth until your child is 3 years old.

When your child is 2 to 3 years old, the health visitors will check their physical development milestones as part of the national Healthy Child Programme.

If a health professional, such as a GP, specialist nurse or health visitor, thinks your child has special educational needs or a disability they will:

  • tell you
  • tell us, the council, so that we can make sure your child gets the support they need as they grow up
  • work with you to provide and organise support for your child
  • put you in contact with social workers at Seaside View Development Centre

Health checks for young people

Young people who are 14 years of age, or older, and adults with a learning disability can ask for free annual health checks.

To get an annual health check you need to be registered with a GP surgery and on their disability register.

At your check you’ll make a health action plan together. This should include all your health problems and tell you what needs to happen to keep you healthy. You will get a copy to keep.

Read the easy read guides to annual health checks on the Mencap website.

Health checks for adults

Adults who are 40 to 74 years old can get an NHS health check every five years.

A health check can spot early signs of stroke, kidney disease, heart disease, type 2 diabetes or dementia.

After your check you’ll get advice about staying healthy and well.

More information

You can get information about national health services and find a GP near you on the NHS website.

You can also check how to register with a GP surgery if you're not sure how the health system works, you're homeless, from another country or need extra help.

The Live well website by the NHS has advice, tips and tools to help you make the best choices about your health and wellbeing.

Contact the learning disability liaison team at the Brighton and Sussex University hospitals if you need help to access healthcare services in a way that meets your needs.