Privacy notice


Brighton & Hove City Council holds personal information about children and young people. This information is shared with other organisations and protected under the Data Protection Act. This privacy notice sets out how we use this information.

For information about website privacy visit our privacy and cookies web page


What we do with your information


We keep information about children and young people so that we can

  • arrange the right services for you
  • plan and improve our services
  • look into any concerns you may have about our services
  • keep in touch with you

We also give information to other government organisations so they can monitor how we are doing and plan services for children across the UK.


Keeping your information safe


We keep information about you in a paper file and on a computer. There are strict controls about who can see your records. Nobody is allowed to see your information unless it will help them provide a service you need.

People working for Brighton & Hove City Council must have security checks before they are allowed to handle your information. We always remove personal details such as names and addresses when we publish any information for monitoring or planning reasons.


Schools - privacy notices for school pupils


In line with the Data Protection Act, your school must send you a privacy notice outlining how they use and share personal information. They also share your information with Brighton & Hove City Council.


Youth Employability Service


The Youth Employability Service (YES) is part of Brighton & Hove City Council Children’s Services. Information for young people in secondary school is passed on to the service. This includes the name and address of the pupil and parent/carer, and any further information relevant to YES.

If you are a parent, carer or pupil (aged 16 and above) and do not want the Youth Employability Service to collect school information beyond name, address and date of birth you may opt out. Please discuss this directly with the school concerned.


NHS Brighton and Hove


Sometimes we share your information with the NHS who might use it for research and to monitor how well they are doing. This information is used in such a way that you cannot be identified from it.

To find out more, please go to the Brighton and Hove Primary Care Trust website


Asking to see your information


Normally you can ask the people who provide services to let you see the information they keep about you.

You can also ask to see your information using your rights under the Data Protection Act 1998. This is known as a subject access request.

Anyone age 12 or older can make a subject access request, but if you are under 12 your parent or carer must do this for you.

For more details on how you can ask to see your information, please see our pages on data protection.