Apply to start school during the year

How and when you need to apply if you're changing schools or want your child to start school during the year.

How to apply

You can apply for a school place online if your child needs to change or transfer schools during the school year or start school at any other time.

You can also apply for a school place with a paper form.

When to apply

You can apply for a school place up to half a term before the place is needed. We won’t usually process applications earlier than this except for: 

  • applicants wanting a school place from the beginning of the autumn term, you can apply after Easter
  • Crown Servants or members of the Armed Services being relocated to the area

A school place will be allocated as soon as possible after your application is received. You should only apply at the time you would like your child to change schools.

If your child is moving from one Brighton & Hove school to another, the schools will talk to each other to make sure the move goes smoothly.

Before you apply to change schools, please think about the negative effects this may have on your child's progress.

When you'll hear from us

We'll aim to give you a decision as quickly as possible, but allow up to 15 school days to receive your school offer.

If you accept the offer, the school will be asked to make arrangements for your child to start as soon as possible.

The school will not hold places open for more than half a term. If you haven't taken up the offer within this time, the school will withdraw the offer.

More information

View our school application guides for more information.