About secondary school catchment areas

Get information about catchment areas for secondary schools in Brighton & Hove

About school catchment areas

School catchment area is the geographical area around a secondary school.

The council decides the size of school catchment areas used for community schools run by the council, Brighton Aldridge Community Academy (BACA) and Portslade Aldridge Community Academy (PACA).

Church voluntary aided and free schools don't use catchment areas.

Why school catchment areas are important

Children who live in a school's catchment area have a better chance of getting a place at this school than children who live outside of the catchment area.

If more children apply for a school place than there are places available, children who live in the school's catchment area get offered a place first.

If your child stays with another parent or relative regularly and therefore has more than one address, the school place will be allocated based on the address your child is registered with a doctor. This is the address that you should use on your application.  

We may ask for evidence to confirm the address you give us.

Children who live on boats or traveller sites

If a child's main home address is on a boat or in a traveller site, the location of the marina or the traveller site will be used as the main home address.

More information

View our school application guides for more information.