Waste and recycling services - Coronavirus (Covid-19)
The impact of coronavirus on Cityclean:
Updated Monday 8 June
Government advice on waste disposal for people with possible or confirmed coronavirus
- Personal waste, such as used tissues and disposable cleaning cloths, can be stored securely within disposable rubbish bags.
- These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste.
- This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external household waste bin.
- Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.
Household Waste Recycling Sites (HWRS)
- Our HWRS, or tips, are open
- Strict traffic measures are in force
- People should expect long delays
- Cars are not allowed to park or queue on Old Shoreham Road or Wilson Avenue
- Queueing will only be allowed on the smaller access roads leading to the tips, and not the major approach roads
- If the tip roads are full, drivers will be asked to move and told to return when the queues are shorter
- Cars only. No trailers, vans, commercial-type or oversized vehicles will be allowed on-site
- No pedestrians. Those on foot and not in a car will not be allowed to enter the site
- People should only visit the sites if waste cannot be stored at home without it causing a risk of injury, health or harm to the household members.
- The opening hours are:
- Hove: Monday to Friday 8am to 4.30pm; Saturday 8.30am to 1.30pm; Sunday 10.30am to 1.30 pm. The site is closed on bank holidays.
- Brighton: Monday to Friday 8am to 4.30pm, Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays 9am to 5pm.
- Please note: Queues close an hour earlier at both sites to manage capacity.
Environment contact centre
- The environment contact centre number 01273 29 29 29 is now closed.
- We're encouraging people to email us and use our online forms to report a missed bin or box collection or report a problem and request a clean-up as these will be staffed and prioritised
- We will be communicating this information on the website and through media and social media
Refuse and recycling
- We're doing everything we can to run the service as normal as possible and ask for your patience and understanding during this very difficult time.
- Covid-19 means we have a very limited staff due to self-isolating and working from home
- We've successfully recruited and trained more drivers and operatives to help run the service
- Residents with uncollected kerbside recycling can take it to one of our many Recycling Points located throughout the city or wash, squash and store at home until normal services resume
- The emptying of all litter bins in the city centre, east and west (including dog poo bins) will be prioritised
- Collections for residents with a paid subscription have restarted
- All subscriptions have been extended by six weeks to make up for the recent service suspension
- The decision to resume was taken as we now have enough drivers and operatives in Cityclean to provide a normal garden waste service without disrupting our waste and recycling collections.
Environmental Enforcement Service
- The service has resumed
- Environmental Enforcement Officers will only issue Fixed Penalty Notices via post and not in person to reduce social interactions
- If anyone receives a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) and is currently struggling financially, our team is there to help and can be contacted on EnvironmentalEnforcement@brighton-hove.gov.uk to find a suitable alternative payment option.
Deliveries of new bins and boxes
- We're restarted this service, but deliveries are dependent on staff availability each day.
Graffiti and jet washing
- Only offensive graffiti and human waste will be removed
With fewer people around and the restrictions on movement continuing, most public toilets in the city are temporarily closed. We will reopen them as soon as is appropriate. The following toilets are staying open:
- King Alfred (including RADAR accessible toilets) – open from 8am to 8pm
- Park Road, Rottingdean – open from 8am to 4pm
- Royal Pavilion Gardens – open from 8am to 8pm
- Stanmer Village – open from 8am to 8pm
- The Level (including RADAR accessible toilets and Changing Places facilities) – open from 8am to 8pm
- Station Road, Portslade - open from 8am to 6pm
- Western Esplanade - open from 8am to 8pm
- Lower Prom at West Street - open from 8am to 8pm
- Colonnade - open from 8am to 8pm
- Black Rock - open 8am - 8pm
- Preston Park Chalet - open from 8am to 8pm
- St Ann's Well Gardens - open from 8am to 8pm
- Ovingdean Undercliff - open from 8am to 4pm
- Aldrington Rec - open from 8am to 8pm
- Blakers Park - open 8am to 6pm
- Dyke Road Park - open 8am to 6pm
- Easthill Park - open 8am to 6pm
- Goldstone Villas - open 8am to 10pm
- Hove Cemetery South - cemetery open hours
- Hove Park - open 8am to 8pm
- Lawn Memorial Cemetery - cemetery opening hours
- Rottingdean Undercliff - open 8am to 8pm
- Saltdean Oval - open 8am to 6pm
- Vale Park - open 8am to 6pm
Community clean ups
- Beach cleans, Tidy Up Teams, etc are being suspended
- Collections have restarted
- The council’s contractor KSD Environmental Services has begun taking bookings and arranging collections, and can be contacted on 01273 608 142 from 8am to 4.30pm, Monday to Friday.