What happens if we catch you making a mess in public spaces
We may fine you £75 to £300 if we catch you dropping litter, fly tipping or not picking up your dog's mess if they foul on the street or in a park. You can pay online, by post or call 01256 898913.
Fixed penalty notices
We may give you an on-the-spot fixed penalty notice of between £75 and £300, if you:
- drop litter
- fly tip or fly post
- don't pick up your dog's mess if they foul in public spaces
We can also give you a fine after the offence.
Fines are also given out if you dispose of business waste illegally. Find out how to dispose of business waste properly.
We can't issue fines to children under 10 years old. If a child under 10 drops litter, the adult with them should pick it up.
Paying your fine
To pay your fine:
- go online on the 3GS website
- phone 01256 898 913, 9am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday
- send a cheque made payable to 3GS to Senior Compliance Officer, Payment Centre, PO Box 6941, Basingstoke, RG24 4UZ
The council and enforcement officers don't profit from issuing fines.
GOV.UK give guidance on Fixed penalty notices.
How we use your details
If you're caught for an offence listed above, you must give your full name and address to the Enforcement Officer. They'll check you are who you say you are.
Not providing this information is a criminal offence. You could get a fine of £100 and a criminal conviction for not giving your name and address.
Fines are issued under:
- the Environment Protection Act 1990
- the Cleaner Neighbourhoods Environment Act 2005
- the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003
Officers can enter commercial properties to deal with offences under these criminal acts. Officers wear cameras to identify offenders and get evidence.
We keep records of:
- fixed penalty notices we have issued, from issuing the fine to payment to prosecution
- evidence if the case goes to court