Flyering and flyposting

What flyering is, how to apply for a flyering licence, and how to report illegal flyposting.

Flyering in the city

Flyering is giving out free flyers to the public. This includes printed materials to advertise things like events, businesses or political messages.

Flyering can cause lots of litter, so we restrict where and when you can give out free flyers. In some areas you're required to have a licence.

If you need a licence for your business or an event, please allow 10 working days for us to process your application.

Flyering licence area

The map below shows the area of the city where you need a licence for flyering              

See full screen

Flyering costs

Charges vary depending on what times you'll be flyering and the length of the licence.

1 day 1 week 1 year Cost per additional badge - maximum 4*
£55 £154 £330 £35

*Each person flyering will need their own badge. To calculate your total fee add £35.00 per additional badge. For example, if you need 3 standard annual badges it will cost £330.00 for the first badge and £35.00 for each of the 2 additional badges - so £400.00 in total.

Once you know which licence you need, please fill in the online application form.

If you lose a flyering badge you will need to pay for a replacement at the cost per additional badge rate, which is £35.00.

How to pay

Send a cheque or postal order, made payable to Brighton & Hove City Council, to Cityclean Administration, Hollingdean Depot, Upper Hollingdean Road, Brighton, BN1 7GA.

Please mark the back of the cheque or postal order with the name of the applicant and 'flyering'. Your licence will then be sent to you within 10 working days.

How to report a problem with flyering litter or flyposting

It is illegal to hand out flyers without a licence in some central areas of the city.

It is also illegal to stick printed material on properties or structures on the street, such as lamp posts or telephone boxes. This is called flyposting. If you’re caught flyposting, we may remove your materials and you could get a fine.

Tell us about flyering litter or flyposting issues you see around the city.