What are swift bricks and swift boxes?
Swift bricks and swift boxes are bird boxes designed for swifts. They provide a space for the birds to nest. Swift bricks fit in place of a brick in a wall. Swift boxes fit on the outside of walls, below the eaves.
When are swift bricks or swift boxes required?
All new developments in the city of 5 metres or greater in height need swift boxes or swift bricks. The best option are swift bricks as they integrate into a building. As such, they are permanent and provide better temperature control.
(photo credit: Steve Blain)
How many swift boxes or swift bricks do you need?
Householders should provide swift bricks or boxes where a new development is greater than 5 metres high
We class a minor development as:
- up to 9 residential units or
- less than 1,000 square metres of commercial floorspace
For minor developments the minimum number of swift bricks (or boxes) needed is:
- residential developments - three bricks, or two per dwelling, whichever is the greater.
- commercial developments - three bricks, or one per 50 square metres of floorspace, whichever is the greater.
We class a major development as:
- 10+ residential units or
- 1,000sqm+ commercial floorspace.
For major developments the County Ecologist will recommend specific requirements.
Please see Appendix 1 for details on how to meet this requirement. We have provided a model condition and informative.