About the Brighton Hippodrome
The Brighton Hippodrome is a Grade II* listed building. It's sited between Middle Street and Ship Street within the Old Town Conservation Area. The site is privately owned.
The site has a long history as an entertainment venue. Lewis Kerslake built it as an indoor ice rink in 1896 to 1897. It was converted to a circus four years later by the theatre designer Frank Matcham. He remodeled it again as a variety theatre for Tom Barrasford in 1902.
The Hippodrome has had some major alterations over the years. It was a live music venue until 1964 and then from 1969 it reopened as a bingo hall. It fell into disuse in 2007.
The building is of special architectural and historical interest. This is because of the auditorium interior and the ornate plasterwork by Frank Matcham.
The building has been vacant for a long time and is in a poor condition. It's deteriorated over this period and is on Historic England’s ‘buildings at risk’ register. It is also on the Theatres Trust’s register of theatres at risk.