Heritage news, consultations and FAQs

Information and advice about listed properties.

Heritage news

Review of the Brunswick Town Conservation Area Character Statement 

The council has commissioned the RSK Group to undertake a review of the Brunswick Town Conservation Area Character Statement. 

The aim of the character statement is to define the ‘special interest’ of the area, through a thorough assessment of its history, character and appearance.

The appraisal process should lead to a better understanding of the area’s development, what makes it the place it is today and its potential for enhancement. 

Download a draft of the Character Statement. This follows on from early engagement with local residents and businesses. It is now available for public consultation for 5 weeks. We welcome your views. Go to our consultation portal to take part in the consultation

Review of the local list

The council is undertaking a 5 year review of the Local List of Heritage assets. This will update existing list entries where new information has come to light and will assess those further nominations that have been put forward within the past five years since the Local List was comprehensively reviewed. This includes those submitted to us under the recent call for nominations.

We are now assessing the nominations and additional information and will report the updated Local list to the Tourism, Equalities, communities and Culture Committee in September 2022.

Queen's Park conservation area Article 4 Directions 

The council has formally confirmed an Article 4 Direction that introduces additional planning controls on alterations to buildings within the Queen's Park conservation area. This Direction will come into effect on 4 June 2022. Read about Queen's Park conservation area.

Frequently asked questions

  1. Is my property listed?
  2. Do I need listed building consent?
  3. How do I get a building listed/de-listed?
  4. Where can I find information on the history of my property or area?
  5. Is my property in a conservation area?
  6. How does living in a conservation area affect me?
  7. What is a locally listed heritage asset?
  8. What is an Article 4 Direction?
  9. I want to prune/fell a tree.  Do I need consent?
  10. How do I report possible unauthorised works to an historic building?
  11. How do I report a building in disrepair?
  12. How do I report the removal of an historic street light or paving?
  13. Does the council provide grants for historic buildings?

Common types of work

  1. Maintenance of historic buildings
  2. Windows (including replacing windows with double glazing), doors, roof coverings, chimneys, porches, render, mouldings, flint, balconies and boundary treatments: guidance and policy is available in the supplementary planning document on architectural features
  3. Roof alterations and extensions
  4. Damp treatment
  5. External painting
  6. Repointing walls
  7. Replacement windows - find out about planning permission for doors and windows
  8. Solar panels - find out about installing solar panels on your home