Choose the right building regulations application

Building notices are quick and are for smaller, internal changes to your home. Full Plans applications are for more complicated building work. Find out which you'll need.

New building control process for highrise residential buildings

Highrise residential buildings (HRBs) are defined as "residential buildings 18 metres tall or higher, or at least 7 storeys tall, with 2 or more residential units".

From 1 October 2023, any applications for new HRBs, including those formed by change of use or by adding additional storeys, must be made to the new Building Safety Regulator (BSR) rather than the Local Authority Building Control Body or Private Approved Inspectors. This also applies to alterations to existing HRBs.

In addition, all existing HRBs, whether being altered or not, must be registered with the regulator.

Charges for determining compliance with building regulations

To support the BSR in determining compliance with building regulations, we'll charge the BSR £74.12 (including VAT) per hour. This will allow us to recover costs in full. 

This will be reviewed on a regular basis.

Further information about the new building control process

Read the registration of high-rise residential buildings press release from the Health and Safety Executive.

Find out more information about new building planning applications from the Health and Safety Executive.

Building Notices

If you're planning small, internal changes to your home then making a Building Notice application could be the best option.

You can start your building work 2 working days after submitting your Building Notice application.

You do not get the same formal approval before you start work as you do with a Full Plans application, but we will acknowledge your Building Notice.

We'll issue a completion certificate when our site inspectors say the completed work complies with building regulations.

There are specific projects when Building Notices cannot be used.

Building Notices cost less and are quick

There are fewer costs because, with a Building Notice, you may avoid getting detailed plans made. However, while your work is happening we may ask you to provide information to show that your build complies with the regulations.

It's a faster process because you can submit your application just 2 working days before starting your building work, if you need to. 

A building control surveyor will visit you, inspect the works as they progress and inform you of other requirements.

Find out more about Building Notices on the Planning Portal website.

Find out how to apply for building regulations approval.

Full Plans applications

If you're making major changes or doing commercial building work, you should make a Full Plans application.

You will probably want to submit a Full Plans application if you are carrying out works such as:

  • adding an extension
  • a new building
  • building work on commercial buildings
  • changing your building's use
  • building at a school

When applying for Full Plans approval, you'll need to include detailed plans of the work you're doing.

Our Building Control team will examine the plans before you start work. They will let you know if you can start work or if you need to change your plans.

We'll issue a completion certificate when our site inspectors know the completed work complies with building regulations.

Full Plans applications are for more complicated builds

When you make a Full Plans application you have to submit detailed plans for Building Control approval. You have the security of knowing that your proposals comply with all the relevant national regulations.

With approved plans, it tends to be easier to communicate with builders. Without plans, sometimes your builder may not fully understand your intentions.

Find out more about Full Plans applications on the Planning Portal website.

Find out how to apply for Full Plans approval.

Regularisation (retrospective application)

If past building work has taken place without getting building regulations approval, the owner of the building can apply for regularisation.

You may need to expose, remove and/or rectify works if the building doesn't comply with the building regulations and if you want a regularisation certificate.

To apply for regularisation contact our Building Control team.