Check if you need building regulations approval

Guidance and advice before you apply for building regulations.

COVID-19 update

Due to the recent Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak many staff are not able to answer office phones. Please contact us by sending an email to

You can leave a message on our answerphone, but there may be a delay in getting back to you. This is because of the pressure the current situation has put on our service. Please do not hesitate to request site inspections using the above email address.

You'll need to give us at least one working days’ notice. 

Make sure you include: 

  • address of the site that needs a visit
  • the nature of the inspection you need
  • the name and phone number of the person requesting the visit
  • whether there's someone self isolating - due to being exposed to the virus or recovering from the virus - at the property

We will be aiming to continue business as usual during this exceptional period. Thank you.


When you need to submit an application

Go to GOV.UK and find out if you need to apply for building regulations approval or how to use a competent person scheme. This scheme is a way for tradespeople to prove they can do work to required standards.

Use the Planning Portal's Interactive Guide to find out the types of building regulations application or approval you may need.

Council housing

If you are a council tenant or leaseholder, you will need to ask us if you can carry out any improvement works on your council house.

Get advice from our team

If you’re not sure whether you need to apply, you can get advice from one of our building control surveyors.

They will visit your site and offer impartial expert advice.

It costs £72 for the first site visit , where we'll tell you if you need to make a building regulations application. If you request more site visits after this, we'll advise you of further costs.

Please contact our Building Control team to find out more or request a site visit.

Check which type of application you need

There are 3 different types of building regulations application. These are:

  • Building Notices - for domestic internal changes
  • Full Plans applications - for major changes or commercial works with plans
  • Regularisations - retrospective applications for works carried out without a building regulations application at the time

You'll need to consider which you should apply for and choose the right building regulations application for your project.