Highway obstructions

What types of obstruction there are and how you can report one that you find.

Report an obstruction

Streetworks, roadworks, skips, scaffolds, hoardings, advertising boards and building materials that block the pavement are all considered to be causing an obstruction to pedestrians. 

It is an offence to obstruct the free passage of the highway. (Highways Act 1980)

Obstructions are objects which have been unlawfully placed on or which overhang the highway. Such obstructions are given by examples below:

  • builders' skips 
  • scaffolding/hoardings 
  • builders materials 
  • temporary works including traffic lights 
  • overhanging tree branches, hedges 
  • mud/debris on the road 
  • mixing concrete/mortar on the highway 
  • unauthorised traders 
  • encroachment of highway boundaries 
  • discharge of water onto the highway
  • blocking rights of way
  • plants and bushes 
  • illegal signs 
  • caravans and trailers (not attached to a vehicle)

If you block the way along a road or pavement, you are guilty of an offence. As a Highway Authority we have certain powers to deal with the above types of obstruction. 

You can report a highway obstructions here highwayobstructions@brighton-hove.gov.uk 

Or by calling 01273 292929