Dropped kerbs and crossovers for vehicle access to a property

Request us to create a dropped kerb to provide access to a property.

You can apply for permission to build a vehicle crossover (dropped kerb) for access to your property. If you meet the criteria and safety standards, permission will be issued with conditions attached.

Your contractor can then apply for a licence to build the crossover. You'll also need to check for underground equipment belonging to the utility companies and negotiate with them if it needs to be moved or protected.

If you are thinking of applying, please read our driveways and dropped kerbs guidance which explains the key criteria and requirements. Please note that the criteria are reviewed and updated periodically. If you are applying to make changes to an existing dropped kerb please do not assume that these will automatically be approved. The existing crossover will have met the criteria at the time it was originally built, and any changes must meet our current requirements.

Application form

To apply download the vehicle crossover application form.

Complete the form and return it to VehicleCrossovers@brighton-hove.gov.uk  

Read our privacy notice for information on how we collect, store and process your data.


Getting a dropped kerb is a 2 stage process. There are separate fees for each stage:

  • the stage 1 fee is £150
  • if you are granted permission for your crossover the stage 2 fee is £450

You can pay the dropped kerb fees online.

You'll also need to pay your contractor to carry out the work to your crossover.

If you require planning permission there are separate fees.

If you need more information or want a crossover application pack to be posted to you, please call 01273 290 729 or email VehicleCrossovers@brighton-hove.gov.uk.

White line road markings across driveways