School permit

Find out if you can get a school permit, how to apply, how much it costs, where you can park and answers to frequently asked questions.

Parking Permit centre 

The Parking Permit centre at Hove Town Hall is closed.

Customer Service Centres

Our Customer Service Centres are open in both Brighton Town Hall and Hove Town Hall. You can access a range of council services and our staff are always there to help.

At the Customer Service Centres you can get:

  • free internet access and use computers, scanners and phones to contact or transact with council services
  • support from staff to use these facilities 
  • basic signposting to the relevant council service (to be contacted via online or over the phone) 

Services that are not available include:

  • face to face service from specific teams, for example, Parking services, Concessionary Travel
  • buying or collection of parking permits 
  • payment of parking fines 

School permit

A school permit is issued so that teaching staff are able to park close to their place of work.

A school cannot have unlimited amounts of permits as these are allocated in accordance with the council's terms and conditions. They are not issued to any other staff members such as administrative or premises staff.

Can I have a school permit?

A school within the controlled parking zone is entitled to 1 permit per 6 teaching staff. Administrative, premises and volunteer staff do not qualify.

Find out if you are in a controlled parking zone.

How do I apply for or renew a school permit?

You should complete the school permit application form and return it to us by post at:

Parking Customer Services
Hove Town Hall
Norton Road

or via our online service with the documents requested.

What documents do I need to provide?

The headteacher needs to write to us with a list of staff that confirms the total amount of teaching staff employed at the school. This should be on headed paper and signed by the head teacher.

How much will it cost and how can I pay?

3 month - £50

12 month - £150

Please write your name and address on the reverse of the cheque and make it payable to Brighton & Hove City Council. You can pay by cheque and credit or debit card (including American Express).

Where can I park with a school permit?

With a school permit you can park in a permit bay or a shared use bay in the zone specified on the permit. You must ensure that the permit is displayed clearly with all of the details of the permit visible from the outside of the vehicle.

permit holders only sign


pay and display or permit holders sign

I am changing my vehicle what do I do?

A school permit is not vehicle specific so you do not need to do anything.

I am no longer teaching at the school what do I do?

You should surrender the permit to the school. Providing that they are not exceeding their allocation they are able to issue it to another member of teaching staff.

When this permit is returned to the school and this exceeds the amount that they can be issued with then the school must return it to us by post at:

Parking Customer Services
Hove Town Hall
Norton Road

with a brief explanation of why it has been returned.

I have received a penalty charge notice when using my school permit what do I do?

You should then decide whether to: