Professional carers badge

Find out if you can get a professional carers badge, how much it costs and where you can park.

Parking Permit centre 

The Parking Permit centre at Hove Town Hall is closed.

Please use the online service.

Customer Service Centres

Our Customer Service Centres are open in both Brighton Town Hall and Hove Town Hall. You can access a range of council services and our staff are always there to help.

At the Customer Service Centres you can get:

  • free internet access and use computers, scanners and phones to contact or transact with council services
  • support from staff to use these facilities 
  • basic signposting to the relevant council service (to be contacted via online or over the phone) 

Services that are not available include:

  • face to face service from specific teams, for example, Parking services, Concessionary Travel
  • buying or collection of parking permits 
  • payment of parking fines 

For details of how we handle the information that you provide to us, please read our privacy and data page and see our privacy notices

Professional carers badge

Professional carers badges are issued to people who provide essential care in the community, people such as midwives, doctors, care workers and social workers.

A professional carer's badge cannot be used to park outside your place of work (offices). There is no exception to this rule and you will be liable for a penalty charge notice  if the badge is used for this purpose or any other purpose that does not involve directly caring for a person.

Can I have a professional carer's badge?

A professional carer's badge can be issued to you if you show that you are regularly providing care, either medical or clinical, in Brighton & Hove away from your usual place of work.

Please note that Brighton and Hove City Council reserve the right to withdraw badges at any time without prior notice if the badge is used outside of the intended purpose. Using a badge not in accordance with the terms and conditions could also result in the badges not being renewed.

How do I apply for or renew a professional carers badge?

You need to fill in a professional carers badge application form and return it to us in by post at:

Parking Customer Services
Hove Town Hall
Norton Road

or by emailing it to Applications are processed within 10  days of receipt.

What documents do I need to provide?

You will need to provide:

  • a letter from your line manager on headed paper, confirming you care for someone or people in the community

What is the cost of a professional carer's badge and how can I pay?

A professional carer's badge costs £52 for one year. You can pay by cheque and credit or debit card (including American Express).

Please write your name and address on the back of the cheque and make it payable to Brighton & Hove City Council.

Where can I park with a professional carer's badge?

You can park in a paid parking bay and a permit holder bay for up to 2 hours. If there are no spaces you can park on single or double yellow lines with no loading ban for up to two hours.

You cannot park in a disabled bay with a Professional Carer’s Badge. Any vehicle parked in a disabled bay with a Professional Carer’s Badge will receive a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).   

A professional carer's badge cannot be used in off street car parks. Payment of the relevant tariff is required. This also applies to both Preston Park and East Brighton park which are categorised as car parks.

I am changing my vehicle, what do I do?

You do not need to do anything as professional carer's badges are not assigned to a specific vehicle.

I no longer work as a professional carer what do I do?

You must return your badge to our parking office immediately with a covering letter to explain why the permit is being returned.

Send it to:

Parking Customer Services
Hove Town Hall
Norton Road

I received a penalty charge notice when using a professional carer's badge what do I do?

You should check that you have used the professional carer's badge in accordance with the conditions of use.

You should then decide whether to: