Essential work permits

Find out if you can get an essential work parking permit, how to apply, how much it will cost, where you can park and answers to frequently asked questions.

Parking Permit centre 

The Parking Permit centre at Hove Town Hall is closed.

Please use the online service.

The Customer Service Centres are open in both Brighton Town Hall and Hove Town Hall.


These services are available:

  • Free internet access, computers, scanners and telephones for customers to use to contact or transact with the council. 
  • Support from staff to use these facilities 
  • Basic signposting to the relevant council service (to be contacted via online or over the phone) 

These services are not available:

  • Face to face service from specific teams (e.g. Parking services, Concessionary Travel) 
  • Buying or collection of parking permits 
  • Payment of parking fines 

For details of how we handle the information that you provide to us, please read our privacy and data page and see our privacy notices

Phone lines

The parking customer service phone lines are now only answered from 9am to 1:30pm.

Please use the online service as an alternative to calling us.

Phone 01273 29 66 22.

Essential work permits

Essential work permits are known as dispensations. We offer these if you are providing essential services in the city to keep it running. For example, if you are working on the gas or electricity network. This is also known as statutory duties.

We also issue essential work permits to council workers who are required to make short and frequent stops throughout the city to provide essential services such as building surveys.

Can I get a dispensation?

Find out if you can get an essential duties dispensation.

How do I apply for or renew a dispensation?

You should fill in a parking dispensation application form and return it to us by post or through our online service.

Return your application by post

Make sure a cheque is enclosed with your application form. Write your name and address on the back of the cheque and make it payable to Brighton & Hove City Council.

Or, if you'd prefer to pay by card, make sure you include a phone number on the application form. This will allow an officer to phone you to take payment for your dispensation.

Post to Parking Customer Services, Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, BN3 3BQ.

Return your application online

To send us your application through our online service, you need to:

  1. Enter your personal details
  2. Select 'Permits: Other' from the drop-down list
  3. Select 'All other' from the drop-down list
  4. Type 'Dispensation request' or 'Dispensation renewal request' in the 'Please give details' field
  5. Enter your vehicle registration mark
  6. Type 'Dispensation' in the Permit Number field
  7. Fill in the other relevant information fields
  8. Type 'Dispensation request' or 'Dispensation renewal request' into the message box
  9. Attach the completed application form using the 'Upload' function

We do not accept cheques if you're sending your application in online. So, make sure you provide a phone number in your application form so an officer can phone you to take payment for the dispensation.

What documents do I need to provide if I am a council employee?

You need to provide confirmation on headed paper from your line manager that:

  • you are carrying out essential duties
  • your stay will be no longer than 20 minutes on single or double yellow lines where a loading ban is not in place (loading bans are indicated by 1 or 2 repeating yellow lines on the kerb itself) or 1 hour in a resident permit bay
  • that there is no alternative parking available

You will also be required to show company identification such as your staff ID.

How much will it cost and how can I pay?

A dispensation is £50 for 12 months. We accept payment by cheque (for postal applications only) and credit or debit card, including American Express.

Please write your name and address on the reverse of the cheque and make it payable to Brighton & Hove City council.

Where can I park with a dispensation?

Find out where you can park with an essential duties dispensation.

I no longer need my dispensation what do I do?

Please return it to us as soon as possible and we will issue a refund for each full unused month. Just complete the refund form and we will either credit this to your, or the person who paid for the dispensation, bank account.

I have received a penalty charge notice when using my dispensation what do I do?

Please check the terms and conditions of use and also where you can park with a dispensation on this page. Then decide if you should: