Service update: April 2022
Staff are currently working from home and can't offer a customer counter service.
We're currently issuing Blue Badges within our normal time frames.
If you apply by post there may be a delay in processing your application, as we've had to reduce staff time in the office.
Please accept our apologies for any delays that may result.
Applying for a Blue Badge
Please apply online whenever possible and contact us online in the first instance. This will help us keep within our timescales and ensure best customer service delivery. We appreciate your patience.
To apply you will need:
- proof of your disability
- proof of your identity
- proof of your address
- a photograph of you - please email this where possible
If you are sending documents by post, please only send photocopies. Brighton & Hove City Council cannot be held responsible for documents that are lost in the post.
Blue Badges are not made at Hove Town Hall. We need to order them from a separate company who will then send it to you directly.
Applications can take up to 8 to 10 weeks to process once we have received all of the required documentation.
We will usually email you or write to you by post if more information is needed.
You may need to have an eligibility assessment. We'll do this by phone. This is then followed by a walking assessment at Hove Town Hall.
Frequently asked questions
Can I get a Blue Badge?
You may be eligible for a Blue Badge if you have any enduring (lasting for at least 3 years) and substantial disability that means you:
- drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all, or some types of parking meter
- have been certified by an expert assessor as having an enduring and substantial disability which causes you, during the course of a journey, to be unable to walk, experience very considerable difficulty whilst walking, which may include very considerable psychological distress
- may be at risk of serious harm when walking - or pose, when walking, a risk of serious harm to any other person
How do I renew my Blue Badge?
Each renewal is treated like a new application, to make sure we only issue Blue Badges to those who meet the criteria.
If you have moved address within the last 3 years and have not informed us, then we may not hold your current contact details. Please contact us if your details have changed.
Please note that it remains the responsibility of the badge holder to be aware of when the badge is expiring, and to ensure it is renewed in time.
What do I do if the Blue Badge is no longer required?
If the Blue Badge is no longer required it must be returned to Brighton & Hove City Council.
You can return it by post to the below address. Please include a covering note explaining why the badge has been returned.
The customer service counter is closed.
To contact us you can:
- Post documents to; the Blue Badge Team, G39 Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, Hove, BN3 3BQ.
- Telephone 01273 296 270 - Please call us on this number during our operating hours of 9:30am to 1:30pm Monday to Friday
- or send us a message here