Parking Permit centre 

The Parking Permit centre at Hove Town Hall is closed.

For details of how we handle the information that you provide to us, please read our privacy and data page and see our privacy notices

Phone lines

The parking customer service phone lines are now only answered from 9am to 1:30pm.

Please be aware that there is a long wait for calls to be answered. 

You can contact Parking Services as an alternative to calling us.

Traders permit

Can I get a traders permit?

You will be issued a traders permit if you are a trader working throughout Brighton & Hove providing services such as plumbing, building, electrical and gas or if you are an estate agent. This list is not exhaustive and a permit may be issued at the councils discretion.

The permit is issued so that you can make frequent stops throughout Brighton & Hove to visit customers or clients.

How do I apply for a traders permit?

Complete a traders permit application form and return it to us by post:

Parking Information Centre
Hove Town Hall
Norton Road

If you are applying by post, please include a cheque for payment, payable to Brighton & Hove City Council (BHCC).

You can also apply through our online service. You can contact Parking Services online as an alternative to phoning us.

How do I renew my traders permit?

You will be sent a renewal application form on or around the 7th of the month that the permit expires.

If you do not have this form please completed the traders permit renewal form and return it to us by post.

You can also renew online.

What documents do I need?

We ask that you provide proof that you are trading. There are only certain proofs that we will accept.

Please provide copies of the documents and do not sent in originals.

How much will it cost and how can I pay?

Permit Type 3 month 12 months




Low emission



High emission £250 £875

Low and high emission vehicles

Low emission

Low emission is defined as a vehicle (not a diesel vehicle) that produces 110g/km or less CO2 emissions.This needs to be verified by the production of the V5C.

Vehicles registered before March 2001 do not show CO2 emissions and therefore do not qualify for a discount.

High emission

High emission is defined as a vehicle (including diesel vehicles) that produces 166g/km or more CO2 emissions.

Please write your name and address on the reverse of the cheque and make it payable to Brighton & Hove City council.You can pay by cash, cheque and credit or debit card (including American Express).

I have a low emissions vehicle how do I claim the discount?

You will need to provide a copy of your vehicle registration document to show that you are eligible for a low emissions discount.

This applies to vehicles that have been registered after 2001 and which have CO2 emissions of no more than 110g/km. Please see your V5C document for details.

Application forms

Where can I park with a traders permit?

With a traders permit you can park:

  • in a pay and display bay
  • in a shared use bay
  • in a permit bay up to 5pm

You are not able to park in any of our car parks.


permit holders only sign


pay and display or permit holders sign


limited stay pay and display sign

I am changing my vehicle what do I need to do?

Please complete a change of vehicle application form and return it to us by post or via our online service

I am no longer trading what do I do?

We will issue you with a refund for each full day left on the permit. You must surrender your permit and to claim the refund please complete the refund form and return it to us by post or via our online service.

I have received a penalty charge notice when using my traders permit, what do I do?

You should check that the permit has been used in accordance with the terms and conditions of use and that you have parked where you can with a traders permit.

You should then decide whether to: