Tables and chairs licence application privacy notice
Read our privacy notice for information on how we collect, store and process your data.
We are committed to protecting your personal information.
The council is the data controller for purposes of the Data Protection Act (2018), and The General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 ("GDPR"), and is also registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
As a data controller, we have a responsibility to make sure you know why and how your personal information is being collected. This is according to relevant data protection law.
The primary laws which govern how Brighton & Hove City Council collects and use personal information (known as data) about you are:
Why we collect your data
We are collecting your personal data to process your application for a licence to place tables, chairs and other furniture on the highway.
Your personal data is required as we may need to discuss the details of your application with you and will need to inform you about the outcome of your application. We must also hold a record of who has permission to place items on the highway to ensure effective enforcement of the licence conditions.
Our legal basis for collecting your data
The lawful basis for processing your personal data is GPDR Article 6(1)(c) legal obligation under the Business and Planning Act 2020 section 1.
What data we collect from you
For the purpose of processing your application, we will collect:
- your full name and correspondence address as the applicant
- your contact details (phone number and email address) as the applicant
- the address of the business premises to which the licence applies
- the full name, address and contact details of the owner of the premises, if different from the applicant’s
Special category data
We will not collect any special category data from you.
Who we share your data with
In accordance with the Business and Planning Act 2020 section 2(3) we must publish and publicise your application and supporting information for a 5-day consultation period, so that people can make representations to the council about your application.
We will only make your information available to other council departments, including Planning and Environment Health, where it is necessary for them to perform their council functions.
We will not share your information with any third party, unless we are under a legal obligation to do so.
How long we will keep your data
We will keep your data for no longer than 7 years.
How we store your data
We will store your information on electronic databases, document management systems and on paper records.
How we protect your data and keep it secure
Examples of the security measures we use are:
- training for our staff, making them aware of how to handle information securely, and how and when to report when something goes wrong
- encryption when data is being sent, meaning we scramble information so other people can’t read it without access to an unlock key
- pseudonymising your data, where possible - this means we will remove your identity so the people working with your data will not know your identity
Controlling access to systems and networks allows us to stop people who are not allowed to view your personal information, from getting access to it.
Regular testing of our technology and ways of working, including keeping up to date on the latest security updates (called patches).
Transferring your data outside the United Kingdom
Your data is not processed outside of the United Kingdom.
How to get advice or make a complaint
If you want to discuss any of your data protection rights, you can:
- contact the Data Protection Officer online
- phone 01273 295 959
- send an email to email@example.com
Information Commissioners Office (ICO)
The ICO is the national regulator with responsibility for ensuring compliance with data protection.
We would prefer you to contact us first with any concerns, but you can also contact the Information Commissioner to make a complaint:
- on their website
- by phone: 0303 123 1113
- by post: Wycliffe House, Water Ln, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice will be subject to review when there is a change.