Support for families will be available during the school Easter break at venues across Brighton & Hove.
Children and teenagers who receive eligible free school meals will have the opportunity to take part in fun activities from Monday 11 to Thursday 14 April, and from Tuesday 19 to Friday 22 April.
Places on the Easter Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme are FREE and will be on offer at more than 30 venues, including schools, play-schemes and community projects.
School-aged children from Reception to Year 11, who are in full time education and in receipt of benefits-related free school meals are eligible to take part in as many sessions as they choose.
Activities on offer range from fun sports to arts, crafts and cookery, and each activity session will be accompanied by a free tasty meal.
Choose from archery, dodgeball, ultimate frisbee, dance and drama, yoga, junk modelling and many more activities.
Events include a mini-Olympics, a 4-day multi-activity SEND Easter Camp and an Easter family cookery festival.
Fun activities and events
There will also be a World Kitchen project for young people who are Black, Asian, Arab and of Multiple Heritage from 11 April through to 22 April.
HAF is funded by DfE and delivered by Brighton & Hove City Council in collaboration with providers across the city.
Councillor Hannah Clare, chair of the council’s Children, Young People & Skills committee, said: “School holidays are already a difficult time for some families, owing to extra childcare and food costs, and with the current rise in the cost of living, the upcoming break may exacerbate these challenges for some.
“I’m therefore pleased to confirm that this valuable support for families will once again be available for both the school summer and winter holiday this year, as well as the upcoming Easter break.
“In the year since we first launched Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme in Brighton & Hove in Easter 2021, a total of 973 children have taken part in more than 5000 activity sessions and mealtimes at more than 45 venues.
“I’m delighted with this take-up and success – and would like to say a big thank you to all of the activity and food providers that have given their support.”
You can check out the activities and locations on offer throughout Easter in our Holiday Activities and Food Events calendar.
You'lll need to book with the activity providers directly – their individual booking details are in the events calendar. Places are limited, so book quickly!
HAF – One year on
- Since the launch of the HAF programme in Brighton & Hove in April 2021, free activities and meals have been available during all the long school holiday periods – Easter, summer and Christmas in Brighton & Hove
- A total 973 children have taken part in 5,526 activity sessions provided by 30 different local organisations, at 48 locations, including 22 schools
- 5,526 nutritious meals have been provided along with fun, nutritional education, including family cookery classes, and foodie recipes and experiments accompanied by over 1000 units of fresh produce donated by Waitrose
- Activities on offer have included ice skating, Albion Soccer School, specialised gym training, skateboarding, fencing and more
- During Winter HAF, the programme also supported young refugees by providing much needed space for fun and physical activity, as well as the opportunity to be involved in fun communal food preparation.