Support for self-isolation

If you have symptoms of coronavirus, or have been in contact with someone who has, it’s really important that you stay at home and self-isolate to prevent the spread of the virus.

During the pandemic Brighton & Hove City Council have put in place extra support to help people who need to self-isolate and are now offering extra support to both unemployed and young people. 

Speaking about the council’s support for self-isolation, Councillor Phélim Mac Cafferty, Leader of the Council said: “It’s been clear throughout the pandemic that not all of us have been affected the same way by Covid-19 and the ever changing government rules and guidance. 

“Many low paid, casual, agency, gig economy and marginalised workers are at a higher risk of catching Covid-19 due to the nature of their public-facing jobs in hospitality, retail and distribution.

"Frontline workers who have been asked to continue working have been affected. While the unemployed and self-employed can find themselves in financial hardship by having to self-isolate. 

“One of the key issues has been many people simply being unable to afford not to work. I recognise that asking people to stay at home when their income is hit is hugely difficult. 

“Our council won’t turn a blind eye to this hardship and I’m glad that we have been able to put in place this crucial extra support for people to self-isolate. It’s initially a trial but I hope we can fund this in the long term too. 

“With cases rising in the city and around the country, as difficult as it may be, people must stay at home if told to self-isolate in order to control the spread of the virus and ensure we don’t pass it on to our family, friends and community.

“But we want our residents to know that this council will step in and put in place extra support when they need it most.” 

Support for unemployed people

Until 15 August 2021, unemployed people can now claim a £50 local support payment from the council if have been told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate.

To apply for the payment you must:

  • be over 16
  • be unemployed
  • live in Brighton & Hove

Apply for self-isolation support.

Support for employed and self-employed people

If you can't work and you are on low income, or if self-isolation puts you in financial hardship, you may be eligible for a one-off payment.

If you are not eligible for the government’s national scheme, we may be able to make a discretionary payment.

Apply for Test and Trace Support Payments.

Support for young people

For anyone applying to any of our self-isolation support schemes under the age of 26 we will automatically signpost them to the Youth Advice Centre (YAC). 

We’re working with YAC to provide other support to help young people who need to self-isolate. Depending on the needs of the young person, the council and YAC are putting in place various options including food vouchers, financial and wellbeing support. 

Find more information about the Youth Advice Centre.

Get help from the community hub

If you are self-isolating and need help and support, please contact the city’s Community Hub for assistance.

It can help you get hold of food and medicine, financial advice and other kinds of support.

The hub also offers befriending and learning packages to help you if you’re struggling with feelings of loneliness.

Request help for yourself or someone else.