British Telecom would like to take out 14 on-street payphones in various locations in the city which have low use or are not being used.
As part of this process BT would like to hear what residents think about the proposals.
It’s your opportunity to say if you agree or disagree with the phone boxes being removed and the reasons why.
The council is co-ordinating residents’ responses on behalf of BT.
It doesn’t take long to provide your opinion and your views will help us provide a picture to BT of what people in the city think about their proposals.
How to respond
Please send your comments by Monday, 31 May by email to firstname.lastname@example.org marked ‘Phone box removal – 07/2021.’ Please also identify the phone box telephone number of the phone box you are commenting about.
You can also write to the Head of Planning, City Development and Regeneration, Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, Hove, BN3 3BQ.
The proposals will be shared with the ward councillors for each location.
Phone box locations
- 01273 770333 Junction of Wish Road and Kingsway, Hove, BN3 4LJ (5 average calls per month)
- 01273 770275 Elm Stores, 82 Elm Drive, Hove, BN3 7JL (0 average calls per month)
- 01273 748403 Circle K, 5 The Parade, Hangleton Road, Hove, BN3 7LU (5 average calls per month)
- 01273 773605 West Way, Hove, BN3 8LD (6 average calls per month)
- 01273 508945 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 5BA (3 average calls per month)
- 01273 540390 Preston Resort Hotel, Preston Road, Brighton, BN1 6UU (2 average calls per month)
- 01273 508073 Opposite 124 Stanmer Villas, Brighton, BN1 7HN (2 average calls per month)
- 01273 509461 Near to 2 Roedale Road, Brighton, BN1 7GB (2 average calls per month)
- 01273 685501 Junction of Lewes Road and Coombe Road, Brighton BN2 4EA (3 average calls per month)
- 01273 607981 Junction of Grove Street/Southover Street, Brighton, BN2 9NY (0 average calls per month)
- 01273 606329 Junction of Queens Park Road, opposite 34 Egremont Place, Brighton, BN2 0GA (8 average calls per month)
- 01273 302899 Cranleigh Avenue, outside 149 Marine Drive, Rottingdean, BN2 7GU (1 average call per month)
- 01273 303399 Outside 61 Longridge Avenue, Saltdean, BN2 8LG (4 average calls per month)
- 01273 609685 Junction with Coldean Lane and Park Road, Brighton, BN1 9AB (1 average call per month)
All of the boxes concerned are modern kiosks and not the iconic red telephone boxes that can still be found in a few locations, mainly in the city centre.
Want to keep a phone box?
With payphones being used less, communities are looking at new ways of using them. Modern glass boxes can be adopted if communities want to house a defibrillator. Visit BT's adopt a kiosk web page for more information.
Use of payphones
Overall use of payphones has declined by over 90 per cent in the last decade and the need to provide payphones for use in emergency situations is diminishing all the time, with at least 98 per cent of the UK having mobile coverage.
Ofcom’s research into consumer views on the importance of communications services and their affordability found that most people no longer view payphones as essential for consumers in most circumstances.
As long as there is mobile network coverage, it’s possible to call the emergency services, even when there is no coverage from your own mobile network provider.