Disabled people living in Brighton & Hove will soon be able to travel for free on the city’s buses 24 hours a day.
Last week, the council’s Policy & Resources Committee agreed to a new three-year deal with Brighton & Hove Bus & Coach Company which includes extending concessionary travel for residents with a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass to 24 hours, Monday to Friday, from 1 April 2020.
Previously, the pass could only be used after 9am on weekdays.
The change will apply to all Brighton & Hove Bus & Coach Company, Big Lemon, Compass Travel and Stagecoach services in the city.
Concessionary fares are funded by the surplus generated by parking fees and charges in the city.
Desire for change
Chair of the Policy & Resources Committee, council leader Nancy Platts said: “Residents have been telling us they wanted this change and I’m very pleased we’ve been able to get this done and reach a new three-year agreement with Brighton & Hove Bus & Coach Company.
“We know there are many Disabled Person’s Bus Pass holders who travel to work or school before 9am and now they’re able to do so for free. The council is committed to being carbon neutral by 2030 and supporting more people to travel sustainably will help us achieve this ambitious target.
“I’d personally like to thank those residents and campaigners who worked with council officers and Brighton & Hove Bus & Coach Company to bring about this change.”
Working in partnership
Martin Harris, Managing Director for Brighton & Hove Bus & Coach Company said: "We are delighted to be working in partnership with Brighton & Hove City Council to launch a new three-year deal which includes extending concessionary travel to residents with a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass.
“Our purpose is to give everyone we serve the freedom to connect with the people and places they value most so that they can live their lives to the full.
“Through the work we do with community groups - to continuously improve accessibility on our buses - we know that many of our disabled passengers will be very pleased with this news."
Working with residents
The change has come following discussions with residents, including Cara Redlich who said: “I’m so pleased this decision has been made and I know it will have positive implications for people in the city with a disability, including myself.
“Not being able to travel for free before 9am affected things like attending hospital and doctors’ appointments and what I was looking for in terms of new work opportunities.
“I know a lot of people were involved in helping to make this change happen and I’m delighted with such a positive outcome. I hope other bodies can learn from this and make similar changes.”
Find out more about applying for a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass