Businesses urged to prepare for the end of the Brexit transition

EU Settlement Scheme

Existing EU employees must apply to the EUSS before 30 June 2021 if they want to continue living and working in the UK.  The scheme offers continued access to employment, housing, benefits and health services.

Postcards will be delivered to all households in the city from 26 October to remind EU residents to apply to the EU Settlement scheme.

BHCC’s Brexit lead, Cllr Marianna Ebel says: “From 1 January the way we trade with the EU will change. Action is required regardless of the outcome of negotiations and whether the government secures a Free Trade Agreement.

“We don’t know exactly what the impacts of Brexit will be on our city, but we do know there are a significant number of EU nationals working in key sectors including tourism and hospitality, retail, the NHS and social care. We value their contribution and are working with partners to ensure they remain a part of our workforce.

“Signing up to the EU Settlement Scheme is free and straightforward and protects the rights of EU Nationals to live and work in the UK as they do now”.

Deal or no deal

The call to action comes as the government launches the latest phase of its public information campaign with the strapline 'Time is running out'. HMRC has written to 200,000 businesses who trade with the EU to set out the new customs and tax rules coming into place and how to deal with them.

It had been hoped that details of a new trade deal would be announced at an EU Summit last week but instead, the Prime Minister told Brussels there was no point in talking any more unless the European Union fundamentally changed its negotiating position. Both sides have now agreed to resume negotiations in London this week.

New immigration system

Regardless of a deal or no deal outcome, the UK is leaving the single market and customs union on 31 December so there will be guaranteed changes. A new points-based immigration system will be in place from 1 January 2021, which may impact business costs and workforce as well as change the way goods and services are imported/exported.

Trading with the EU

Find out what you need to do if your business trades with the EU

  • If you sell goods to the EU, you must prepare for new customs procedures. Visit GOV.UK to check duties and customs procedures for exporting your goods from 1 January 2021.
  • If you travel to the EU for work purposes you will need to check if you need a visa or work permit and apply if necessary.
  • If you employ overseas nationals you will need to prepare your business for the implementation of the new immigration system. From 1 January 2021, if you want to hire anyone from outside the UK, including EU nationals (unless they are resident in the UK before 31 December 2020 or have settled status), you must be a Home Office licenced sponsor.
  • If you are a UK business or organisation that receives personal data from contacts in the EEA, you may need to take extra steps to ensure that the data can continue to flow legally at the end of the transition period.
  • If you provide services in the EU, you must ensure that your qualifications are now recognised by EU regulations to be able to practice or service clients in the EU.

 Businesses can get a personalised summary of the actions they need to take by using the tool on

 More about Brexit in Brighton & Hove

Related news