Applications are now open for small businesses to apply for a discretionary grant.
There is a total fund of £3.7 million and three levels of grants:
- Any amounts under £10,000
These grants do not have to be paid back and are available to small businesses who have not been eligible for the government’s small business grants. They are being offered to a range of small businesses in the city affected by the Covid-19 pandemic who have not been able to access other support.
The closing date for the first round of applications is Friday, 12 June.
The following types of small businesses could apply:
- Arts, culture and creative industries
- Businesses in shared workspaces and those who manage shared workspaces
- Charities, community interest companies and third sector organisations who undertake commercial work
- Businesses with high fixed costs that do not pay business rates
- Locally-based businesses in leisure, including B & B guest houses
- Long established companies in the city that have invested in their business
- Market traders with fixed locations and costs in Brighton & Hove
- Businesses employing 20 to 50 employees or with high turnover
An online form is now available and a discretionary grant guide with information about who can apply and how to meet the criteria.
As part of their application, businesses will be asked to provide supporting information about how they contribute to:
- Local economic importance
- Supporting the city’s economic success
- Supporting key sectors and sub-sectors
- A carbon neutral city
They will also be asked what impact the loss of their business will make to the city, what they will use the grant for and their investment plans.
Businesses will be asked to provide business accounts in support of their application.
Applications will be assessed by an independent advisory panel which includes representatives from business organisations.
Are you eligible for a small business grant?
There are still businesses eligible for a small business grant from the council and there’s still time to apply.
If you are:
- A leisure, retail or hospitality business you could be eligible a non-refundable £25,000 grant
- A small business in receipt of 100% business rate relief you could be eligible for a non-refundable £10,000 grant