Work underway to restore historic kiosk
Listed building consent has been granted for plans to restore an historic kiosk on Brighton seafront.
Dating from around 1883, the yellow, 10-sided building sat on top of the Shelter Hall on the lower prom opposite the bottom of West Street
It had operated as a snack bar for many years. Originally it was designed as a natural light lantern to illuminate the hall below.
It was dismantled in early February as part of £11m plans to rebuild the Shelter Hall and strengthen the A259 seafront road. Structural deterioration means the road, carried by a viaduct at this point, is at risk of collapse.
Decay in the kiosk meant it needed dismantling urgently for safety reasons. Its mild steel framework was seriously corroded and much of its woodwork rotten. Subject to planning permission, it will be rebuilt on the East Street Bastion, a hundred metres to the east. A new rotunda will be created on top of the rebuilt Shelter Hall.
Detailed photographs have been taken to ensure a faithful restoration. Decorative ironwork will be used to make moulds so that missing pieces can be re-cast at a foundry in Oxfordshire. Rotten woodwork will be replaced by Seth Evans Joinery from Patching, who worked on the council’s award-winning reconstruction of historic fishermen’s arches near the i360. New window frames and shutters will be made.
Chair of the council’s environment committee Cllr Gill Mitchell said: “This building was so badly rotted and rusted it was barely attached to the ground. We’re aiming to restore the kiosk to its original appearance, including replacing decorative features which have gone missing over the years.
“Restoration of the kiosk, the Shelter Hall, and two long sections of fishermen’s arches together show the council is making a massive effort to retain and protect our heritage and inject new life into the seafront.”