Sound Tennis, Pole Fitness and Freestyle Frisbee debut at TAKEPART this summer
Sound tennis for the visually impaired, Pole Fitness and Freestyle Frisbee are all part of the country’s biggest sports and physical activity festival showcasing a wide range of free activities.
The festival kicks off at Preston Park, Saturday 20 June with more than 70 different multi-sports and activities, as well as the chance to get involved with new events at the Festival of Rugby to celebrate Rugby World Cup 2015 coming to the city in September.
With brand new activities and taster sessions making an appearance this year, there hasn’t been a better chance to get involved and try something new. For the first time this year there will be Active After work events, providing fun social events for adults in the city get active after work.
Brighton & Hove City Council’s Sports Development team have joined up with 120 different sport, dance and activity organisations to organise TAKEPART. Many activities are free or low cost.
This means the team can offer a mix of high profile events and community-based ventures, which are the foundation of TAKEPART’s success and help to increase fitness levels in neighbourhoods across the city.
The aim of the festival is for people of all ages and abilities to find an activity to enjoy whether a traditional sport or a more passive pastime such as healthwalks or yoga, to improve wellbeing and individual lifestyles. The festival showcases opportunities for older people and people with limited mobilities or disabilities.
Councillor Alan Robins, chair of Brighton & Hove City Council's Economic Development and Culture Committee, said: “This year’s TAKEPART is bigger and better than ever, with new exciting events and taster sessions, alongside the variety of sporting opportunities that everyone can get involved in.
“The festival gives everyone the chance to try out something new and I hope everyone will participate this summer. For the young in particular, it’s an opportunity to get involved and find a love for physical activity, while for the not so young, a reminder that exercise is good for you too.”
TAKEPART 2015 highlights include:
- 20 June, 12noon to 5pm - free family fun day in Preston Park, sports activities, performances and meet club members.
- 25 June 10-3pm – Best of Health, the only event in Sussex based on health with disabilities at the King Alfred.
- 27 June 11am – 4pm – Bikestock at Stanmer Park, a fun cycling festival for all the family (suitable for all levels).
- 28 June, 12noon – 5pm – Wild Park Youth Event, a free event for teens ages 12+ to come and play football with the Albion in the Community, have a go at archery, rock climbing, dance and more.
- 30 June, 10am-1pm (registration from 9.30) – Active Forever event, free activities.
- 4 and 5 July- Paddle Round the Pier, the country’s largest free charity beach festival.
- 20 June – 5 July - TAKEPARTs ‘Active After Work’, a programme of after work events, competitions and challenges with colleagues. Activities include beginner friendly competitions in Ultimate Frisbee, raft racing, beach tennis, rounder’s and more.
More information is available here