Animal welfare officers from Brighton & Hove City Council have issued the following warnings in preparation for the predicted heatwave.
- Never leave your dog in the car, even with a window open
- Welfare officers take a ‘zero tolerance’ approach and will not hesitate to get the dog out
- Avoid taking your dog out in the middle of the day – change your routine if necessary
- Remember hot pavements can burn dogs’ paws
- During the hottest part of the day keep your dog indoors with plenty of water
- Never leave your dog shut in a conservatory – they can become as hot as cars
Anyone concerned about a dog in a car should call animal welfare on 01273 292446.