Time to TAKEPART – get active in the city!
The biggest sports festival in the country is back for another fantastic fortnight of activities. Details of this year’s programme are being announced at a launch event on Friday 30 May.
Organised by the council’s Sports Development team, TAKEPART is a mix of high profile events and community-based ventures. Local stories are the foundations of TAKEPART’s success, helping to build fitness levels in neighbourhoods across Brighton & Hove and for all ages. The emphasis is on finding an activity to enjoy, whether a traditional sport or a more passive pastime such as healthwalks or yoga, to improve wellbeing.
Sixty children from across the city will gather at Withdean stadium to find out what this year’s programme includes and enjoy sporting fun as a prequel to the main events. The youngsters will spend the morning rock climbing and athletics training, as well as finding out for about the full TAKEPART plans.
This year’s TAKEPART celebration kicks off on Saturday 21 June with a family day in Preston Park. The spectacular funday showcases sports from across the city which takes place in Preston Park. A fortnight of packed activities and events follows, many of which are free or low cost.
Councillor Geoffrey Bowden, chair of Brighton & Hove City Council's Economic Development and Culture Committee, said: “This year’s programme is bigger and better than ever before. TAKEPART is a wonderful opportunity to try something new or support existing ventures. There is a huge selection of activities on offer and I hope everyone will participate in TAKEPART this summer. For the young in particular it’s an opportunity to get the lifelong bug for physical activity, while for the not so young, it’s a reminder that exercise is good for you too.”
TAKEPART 2014 highlights include:
- 21 June, 12noon to 5pm - free family fun day in Preston Park, sports activities, performances and meet club members
- 25 June to 4 July - TAKEPART in schools, including athletics and swimming galas
- 25 June, 4.30 to 6pm - Health walk, family challenge walk and treasure hunt
- 27 and 28 June – TAKEPART Local, four events across the city, including a Big Fun Day at Wild Park.
- 28 June, 11am to 5pm – Brighton Bikestock, community cycling event at Stanmer Park
- 1 July, 10am to 1pm - Active Forever, older peoples’ event
- 3 July, 5pm to 8pm – TAKEPART in the City, taking over New Road and Jubilee Square
- 5 and 6 July – Paddle round the Pier, the country’s largest free charity beach festival
More information is available here