Seeking inspirational sport and activity leaders
The annual City Sport & Physical Activity Awards launch today to seek out nominations for the 2014 winners.
Brighton & Hove City Councils’ Sports Development Team organise the awards. The aim is to recognise and celebrate the achievements of inspirational volunteers and professionals working in sports and activity provision in the city.
Anyone can put a person or group forward for consideration by completing a brief online form giving information on why the chosen nominee deserves to win. There is a range of categories to choose from, full details below, and nominations must be received by 5pm on Monday 8 September. The results will be announced in the autumn.
At last year’s awards, JP Omari won the “Coach/instructor of the Year” award. JP is also the trainer of last year’s “Team of the Year” winners, Stereoshok, so he celebrated double success in 2013.
JP said: "Winning the personal award was an absolute honour. To also see Stereoshok be recognised as the team winner was a hugely proud moment as it meant recognition for the children and their parents who all work so very hard. We are usually too busy to stop and reflect on what we have achieved. The awards were a wonderful and empowering experience. It was very moving to have our efforts celebrated and to learn about the successes of others winning on the night too."
Cllr Geoffrey Bowden, Chair of the Economic Development and Culture Committee, said: “The City Sports & Physical Activity Awards are an excellent way to share good news about sporting excellence in our city. Success is not shown purely in results but also in the enthusiasm and participation generated locally all across our city. I look forward to another opportunity to celebrate the achievements of the dedicated individuals, clubs and schools working to keep the city moving. So if you know someone making a difference in sports and activities, be sure to tell the council’s Sports Development team about their achievements by nominating them today.”
The nine categories open for nominations are:
- Freedom Leisure Sports School of the Year
- Sport/PE Teacher of the Year
- Coach/Instructor of the Year
- Volunteer of the Year
- Mytime Active Participation Award
- TAKEPART Club of the Year
- SeeThat Team of the Year
- Young Sports Personality of the Year
- Sport & Physical Activity Champion of the Year
- Nominations will only be accepted for organisations and residents living or based in the Brighton & Hove local authority area. Individuals who live outside of this area but who are directly associated with organisations based in the city are also eligible for nomination
- The deadline for nominations closing is 5pm on Monday 8 September 2014 which is very close to the start of the autumn school term so nominations for teaching staff and schools will need to be made during the summer break in many cases
- More detailed descriptions of the award categories and online nomination forms are available online at www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/citysportsawards
- The winners will be announced at a ceremony at the Royal Pavilion on Wednesday 22 October 2014