Get sporty and active in the city
The country’s biggest sporting festival is back for two weeks of fun and activity this summer in the city. The annual TAKEPART festival runs from 22 June to 7 July. The festival offers hundreds of events, activities and taster sessions featuring sports and activities of all types. The celebration links local clubs and organisations to provide a huge range of local opportunities as well as profiling major events in the city.
Full details of the event programme are now online at www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/takepart
Organised by the council’s Sports Development team, TAKEPART is a mix of the high profile events and community-based ventures. The local stories are the foundations of TAKEPART’s success, helping to build fitness levels in neighbourhoods across Brighton & Hove and for all ages. The emphasis is on finding an activity to enjoy, whether a traditional sport or a more passive pastime such as healthwalks or yoga, to improve wellbeing.
Like much of the TAKEPART programme, the Active Forever session on 27 June is a free event. The aim of the day is to encourage older people to be more active. One featured group in Active Forever is the Zumba for Older People from Moulscomb. Zumba dance moves have been adapted to suit a slightly slower pace while still delivering an exercise workout for the over 50 age range. Zumba participant Marion Guy said: “I started Zumba to get out and about. Also because it is different to anything I have done before. I very much enjoy the music and the dancing. And I enjoy the company of the other women in the group.”
Jan Sutherland, Brighton & Hove City Council Sport & Physical Activity Manager, said: “The TAKEPART festival is a fixture in the sporting calendar and provides a great start to the summer. Yet again the sports development team has worked with local clubs and organisations to produce an exciting and inclusive programme. There are plenty of new activities to choose from and I encourage everyone to have a look at the programme and see how you can take part.”
TAKEPART festival highlights include:
- FREE FAMILY DAY – PRESTON PARK 22 JUNE, 12pm to 5pm Event in Preston Park where all family members can try out city sports and activities for free
- MORE THAN 400 COMMUNITY TASTER ACTIVITIES 22 JUNE to 7 JULY
- ACTIVE FOREVER – OLDER PEOPLES’ SPORTS EVENT 27 JUNE, 10am to 12.30pm Different ways to keep active as you get older. A range of 15 tasters sessions are happening at the event along with information stalls, mini-massage treatments and free refreshments.
- TAKEPART IN THE CITY – NEW ROAD 28 JUNE, 5pm to 8pm Join us in Jubilee Square and New Road to celebrate sport and physical activity
- BIG GAY SPORTS DAY – BLAGSS (Brighton Lesbian & Gay Sports Society) 29 JUNE, 10am to 5pm Healthy activities for all abilities