Organising an event on council land

How to get permission to hold an event on council land.

An outdoor event is an organised public gathering that usually takes places in an open space.

If you would like to organise an event on council land, you need to apply through the Outdoor Events Office to get permission.

Public land includes parks, greenspaces, community spaces, and seafront locations and can all be considered as possible event sites.

Types of events

Small Event (attendance of up to 500)

If your event is a small event, then there is no need to contact us before you submit your application. We would need at least two months’ notice for this type of event.

Medium Event (Attendance 500 up to 3,000)

Please email us a proposal for your event including details of what the event is, how big, location and proposed dates to . We would require at least three months’ notice for this type of event.

Large Event (attendance of 3000+)

Please email us a proposal for your event including details of:

  • what the event is
  • how big
  • location
  • proposed dates

You will also need to prepare various documents for this type of event, such as an Event Management Plan. We require at least eight months’ notice for an event of this size.

Your event will fit into one of four categories, you will be able to identify the councils charge for organising an event on public land in Brighton and Hove in the application form.

Safety Advisory Group (SAG) in Brighton and Hove

The SAG in Brighton and Hove overlooks all outdoor events throughout the city. Most organisations that sit on the SAG will be involved in the planning of all large events, but you will not be asked to represent at SAG unless there are specific concerns around your event or the planning. In Brighton and Hove we host ‘Operational Planning’ meetings, which are then reported back to SAG by the events team. The Operational Planning meetings are usually chaired by the council’s events team.

Application Process

You can download an application form to begin applying to hold an event in the city.

During the application process, you will need to submit the following documents (you can submit them after the application process has begun, if you don't have them yet).

  • a copy of your public liability insurance certificate
  • Risk Assessment
  • Event Management Plan (for medium and large events)
  • site plan
  • sustainability form
  • Environment Impact Assessment
  • Equalities Impact Assessment

Advertising your event in Brighton and Hove

If you want to advertise your event, you can hire advertising space on our double crown poster sites.