Go to a volunteer walk leader training day
The training is free and we can cover travel and childcare expenses in certain circumstances.
The training is very popular and places are given based on your commitment to leading walks and a simple application process. We're particularly keen to hear from people who are happy to walk at a slower pace and accompany slower walkers.
If you're interested in attending the next training day, complete the application form.
We'll get back to you as soon as possible to confirm whether you have a place. If you have any problems completing the forms please phone 01273 292 564 or 01273 292 574.
We highly recommend you try a Healthwalk before coming to the training. Then you can find out if it's the right kind of volunteering activity for you. If you're unsure which walk to choose please get in touch.
What the walk leader training covers
The Volunteer Walk Leader training course is a one day course. The British Heart Foundation's National Centre for Physical Activity and Health recognises the course. It's also endorsed training on the Register of Exercise Professionals.
Everyone who attends the course is given a full training manual and a formal certificate of attendance.
Once you've successfully completed the training day, we'll get you registered on the Walking the Way to Health (WHI) insurance. This means you'll be fully insured to lead walks with the general public.
Please contact the Healthwalks Coordinator if you'd like more information.
The training course covers:
- benefits of exercise
- motivating people to walk
- going on a demonstration Healthwalk
- components of a Healthwalks and monitoring safety and effectiveness
- physical activity and special conditions
- how to lead a walk
- essential paperwork
We'll give everyone who attends the course:
- the offer to do free CPR or First Aid training at another time
- 'Walking the Way to Health' volunteer newsletter 3 times a year
- support and advice from a dedicated coordinator once you start volunteering
- invites to regular volunteer social events