Posted on 13 September 2021
- DirectorateBHCC: Housing, Neighbourhoods and Communities
- Salary£31,162 - £33,070 total pay including 5.5hrs p/w contracted overtime
|Working hours||37 hours plus 5.5 hours contracted overtime|
|Organisation||Brighton & Hove City Council|
Brighton and Hove City Council are recruiting for experienced and enthusiastic tradespeople to join our newly in-sourced Housing Repairs and Maintenance Team
Do you want to support the residents of the city with their general building repairs? Do you want to focus on your trade and not sourcing materials, writing quotes or chasing customers for payment? Do you have a full clean drivers licence? Do you have a City and Guilds or NVQ level 2 or equivalent in a relevant trade?
If so, we’d welcome your application to work within our busy Housing Repairs and Maintenance Service.
For an informal discussion, please contact Sam Crick - Operations Manager on 07786712315 or Sam.Crick@brighton-hove.gov.uk
About the role
You will carry out high-standard general building repairs and refurbishment activities for our residents’ homes, delivering high customer service and meeting all safety, quality and cost control standards.
You will mainly be working on occupied properties within the Brighton and Hove area either on your own or in a small team. The key tasks will be:
- All aspects of brickwork/blockwork – demolition, rebuild, pointing and finishing
- Installation/replacement of lintels (steel/PCC)
- Rendering/concrete repairs
- PCC slabbing/Poured concrete pathways
- Keyklamp/pre-fabricated handrails
- Repair/renew internal concrete floor slabs including DPM’s/Insulation
- Repair/renew rainwater goods
- Installation of ground drainage systems (Aco/French drains)
- DPC’s/Cavity trays
- Renewal of GRP canopies
- Brick stitching/heli-bars
Our residents come from a variety of backgrounds and some are vulnerable so you will need to be comfortable interacting with a wide range of people.
Our team members say they enjoy working in Housing Repairs because “Every day is completely different, we really get a chance to help people from the local community and it feels great to have made a difference at the end of the day”.
In return for your skills and hard work, we offer:
- A defined working week of 37 hours per week plus 5.5 hours of contracted overtime (Monday – Friday 08.00 – 17.00)
- The opportunity to take on additional call out shifts if you want to
- A full induction with job shadowing in your first week and on-going development
- Your own allocated fleet vehicle for work use
- Paid annual leave
- Pension scheme
As part of your application, you will need to answer a few shortlisting questions. To help you, some guidance has been attached to the advert below.
Shortlisting and interviews happen on a frequent basis, please submit applications as soon as possible. This advert may be withdrawn if the vacancies are filled and headcount complete.
Your starting salary will be pro rata if the above position is term-time only. For part time applicants, where your working week is less than the council’s basic 37 hour week, contracted overtime rated pay will not form part of your working hours. This is because overtime rated pay is payable for hours worked in excess of the council’s basic 37 hour week. Your starting salary will be pro rata based on the basic annual salary elements of pay between £25,481 & £27,041.
Work Permits: We may be able to obtain a Work Permit for this post but this is subject to meeting the requirements of the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Points-based Immigration System. Please see Gov.uk for more information on the Skilled Worker Visa.
Please note that this post is subject to a Basic Disclosure Criminal Records Check.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community but particularly encourage applicants from a BME or White Other background as well as those who identify as male or trans as these groups are currently under-represented in our Directorate workforce.
- General Builder Job Description and Person Specification
- Cover Letter
- CV Guidance
- Branching Questions Guidance
- Our Values