Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is vital in the city’s response against COVID-19, as well as continuing to provide other crucial services.
The council is actively working to ensure that our staff who need PPE continue to have access to supplies. The council is also committed to supporting as best as it can (subject to supply challenges) other organisations and individual carers if they are struggling to source their own PPE.
Guidance on rationale for the use of PPE
The council has developed its guidance on rationale for the use of PPE for its staff and for use by similar services.
This rationale document is subject to continual review to help ensure that it meets the latest government covid management guidance. However, users of the PPE must also refer to the latest national sector-guidance to determine how they should be using the PPE in their particular work environment; and the practices outlined in their team risk assessment.
If you are a council member of staff who has a query about using PPE during the Covid pandemic, send an email to:
- Publichealth@brighton-hove.gov.uk - for social care teams
- HealthAndSafety@brighton-hove.gov.uk - for non-social care teams
How to get PPE
The council’s PPE Hub is located at New England House. However, please note that no one is permitted to directly visit the Hub to request PPE. The collection is only by invitation.
There are broadly 3 categories of people who may need PPE:
1. If you are employed by the council, please speak to your line manager who will get in touch with the PPE team. For Brighton & Hove City Council heads of service, please complete the Brighton & Hove City Council Request template.
2. If you are an organisation who:
- is commissioned by Brighton & Hove City Council to provide services on our behalf or
- works in partnership with the council or
- is in the city providing services which need PPE
Please use this template to request PPE from the BHCC PPE Hub in case of emergency. PPE assistance will be charged from 14 September 2020 for any stock purchased by Brighton & Hove City Council. If we have any items in stock which were provided to us by the national PPE supply teams, we will not charge you for these items. You may find it helpful to refer to the Procurement Guide we have developed as a practical guide for the purchase of a range of PPE products.
3. If you are an individual providing care and are unable to procure your own PPE because of supply challenges, please click on the link below to fill in an online form to request PPE and we will try and assist as best as we can.
If you need any help to complete this form, our Community Hub staff can help you with this.
Phone 01273 293 117.
For any general inquiries in relation to PPE, please email PPE.Requests@brighton-hove.gov.uk.
What we can do if we are unable to fulfil PPE Requests
If we don’t have sufficient PPE, we will use our Ethical and Prioritisation Framework to make the necessary decisions.