This is an accessible version of the team agreement. If you want to view the template, please download the PDF version attached.
Purpose of the Team Agreement discussion
In planning how to plan for a new way of working, it's important to speak with your team to make choices about how, when and where to work. This provides and opportunity to discuss wellbeing and how the team are feeling about changes to ways of working.
It's also about being deliberate in our approach rather than drifting into practices which may not best meet our future needs and those of our customers.
Planning for the discussion
In preparation for the discussion with the team, it would be helpful to:
- consider when is most appropriate for the team to have the conversation
- whether there are any key factors that need to be considered within the discussion, for example, customer requirements
- provide the template to the team to help them prepare for the discussion
- consider the best approach to manage the discussion, such as, how will you ensure everyone is able to contribute? How will the outcomes of the discussion be captured?
- consider whether an external facilitator is needed
- the approach that you adopt is unlikely to be perfect first time! Try something and refine it
- team agreements should be developed together. The whole team needs to be involved in the discussion as it will need to work for everyone and you will all be accountable for making it work
- listen actively for what is really being said and asked for by each person, and by the team
- try to think about what you can differently – what has worked well over the last 12 months and how can this be maintained? What are the old habits or practices you need to avoid drifting back into?