Licensing fees for Houses in Multiple Occupation

Find out how much we charge for House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licenses in Brighton & Hove.

Levels of fee

How much we charge for an HMO licence depends on:

We may prompt you to apply for an HMO licence if we find that you should have one but haven't made an application. You'll have to pay the prompted fee if we do this.

Fees for single tenancies

Single tenancy shared houses have one tenancy agreement that lists everyone living in them.

The tables below shows how the fee goes up depending on the number of people living in the property.

Initial fees 

Number of Occupiers

3  to 5

 6  to 8

9 to 11

12 to 14

Standard initial fee

 

£725

£768

 

£811

 

£854

 

Standard initial fee split into 2 payments
  1. £508
  2. £217
  1. £538
  2.  £230
  1. £568
  2. £243
  1. £598
  2. £256

Standard accreditation fee

£650

 

£693

 

£736

 

£779

 

Standard accreditation fee split into 2 payments
  1. £455
  2. £195
  1. £485
  2. £208
  1. £515
  2. £221
  1. £545
  2. £234

Prompted fee

£877

£920

 

£963

 

£1006

 

Prompted fee split into 2 payments
  1. £614
  2. £263
  1. £644
  2. £276
  1. £674
  2. £289
  1. £704
  2.  £302

Renewal fees

Number of Occupiers

3  to 5

 6  to 8

9 to 11

12 to 14

Standard renewal fee

£465

 

£487

 

£509

 

£531

 

Standard renewal fee split into 2 payments
  1. £326
  2. £139
  1. £341
  2. £146
  1. £356
  2. £153
  1. £372
  2. £159

Accredited renewal fee

£416

 

£438

 

£460

 

£482

 

Accredited renewal fee split into 2 payments
  1. £291
  2. £125
  1. £307
  2. £131
  1. £322
  2. £138
  1. £337
  2. £145

Prompted renewal fee

£617

 

£626

 

£647

 

£668

 

Prompted renewal fee split into 2 payments
  1. £424
  2. £181
  1. £438
  2.  £188
  1. £453
  2. £194

£468

£200

The HMO Licence fee is split into 2 payments. The first payment is made as part of the HMO Licence application process. The second payment is payable when the full licence is ready to be issued.

For new applications with more than 14 occupiers, add £43 for up to 3 additional occupiers.

For renewal applications with more than 14 occupiers, add £22 for up to 3 additional occupiers.

Under current legislation 70% of the fee is payable upon application with the remaining 30% payable prior to issue of the full licence.  You will be contacted when this second payment is due.

You can use our online HMO form to calculate your licence type and fee.

Fees for multiple tenancies

Multiple tenancy lets are properties made up of self-contained flats or bedsits, where each letting has its own tenancy agreement.

The tables below shows how the fee goes up depending on the number of lettings in the property.

Initial fees

Number of Occupiers

2 to 5

6 to 8

9 to 11

12 to 14

Standard initial fee

£920

 

£1,091

 

£1,262

 

£1,433

 

Standard initial fee split into 2 payments
  1. £644
  2. £276
  1. £764
  2. £327
  1. £883
  2. £379
  1. £1003
  2. £430

Standard accreditation fee

£823

 

£994

 

£1,165

 

£1,336

 

Standard accreditation fee split into 2 payments
  1. £576
  2. £247
  1. £696
  2. £298
  1. £816
  2. £349
  1. £935
  2. £401

Prompted fee

£1,074

 

£1,218

 

£1,385

 

£1,552

 

Prompted fee split into 2 payments
  1. £736
  2. £315
  1. £853
  2. £365
  1. £970
  2. £415
  1. £1,086
  2. £466

Renewal fees

Number of Occupiers

2 to 5

6 to 8

9 to 11

12 to 14

Standard renewal fee

£563

£649

 

£735

 

£821

 

Standard renewal fee split into 2 payments
  1. £394
  2. £169
  1. £454
  2. £195
  1. £515
  2. £220
  1. £575
  2. £246

Accredited renewal fee

£503

 

£589

 

£675

 

£761

 

Accredited renewal fee split into 2 payments
  1. £352
  2. £151
  1. £412
  2. £177
  1. £473
  2. £202
  1. £533
  2. £228

Prompted renewal fee

£714

£800

£886

£972

Prompted renewal fee split into 2 payments
  1. £500
  2. £214
  1. £560
  2. £240
  1. £620
  2. £266
  1. £680
  2. £292

For new applications with more than 14 occupiers, please add £171 for up to 3 additional occupiers

For renewal applications with more than 14 occupiers, please add £86 for up to 3 additional occupiers

Under current legislation 70% of the fee is payable upon application with the remaining 30% payable prior to issue of the full licence.  You will be contacted when this second payment is due.

You can use our online HMO form to calculate your licence type and fee.