How we make sure empty properties are reused

Find out what powers we can use to make sure empty properties are brought back into use.

How we can help you bring your empty property back into use

If you are not sure what to do with your property, find out what options are available to you.  

If you don't use any of these options and your property is still left empty, Brighton & Hove City Council has the power to: 

  • use legal powers to make sure the property is reused
  • remove ownership of a property

Powers we can use to stop empty properties going to waste

The council can:

  • increase the Council Tax charge 
  • issue a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) - Housing Act 1985, section 17
  • issue an Empty Dwelling Management Order (EDMO) - Housing Act 2004, chapter 2
  • issue an Enforced Sales Procedure - Law of property Act 1925

Other laws the council can use are:

  • Town and Country Planning Act 1990, section 215 - to clean up land or buildings having a negative impact on the neighbourhood
  • Housing Act 2004 - to make sure properties are suitable to live in for potential occupiers
  • Building Act 1984, sections 77, 78 and 79 - to deal with dangerous or run down buildings, structures or unsightly land or property negatively affecting the area
  • Anti-social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 (Community Protection Notice) - to require an owner to deal with the accumulation of rubbish or overgrown gardens
  • Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, section 29 - to secure or board up properties
  • Environmental Protection Act 1990, section 80 - to deal with nuisance caused by waste or rubbish or because repairs are needed at a property
  • Prevention of Damage by Pests Act 1949, section 4 - to treat and prevent rat or mice infestations