Get help if you're at risk of becoming homeless
Find out how to get help from the YMCA, our Housing Needs service and how to access our Housing advice form.
Get help with homelessness
Help if you're under 26 years old
If you are under 26 years old and are homeless or at risk of homelessness, please contact the YMCA Downslink Group at the Youth Advice Centre (YAC).
They are contracted to provide housing advice and support to young people up to their 26th birthday.
To contact the Youth Advice Centre:
- go to the YMCA website
- send an email to email@example.com
- phone 01273 624 432
- Visit 11 St. George's Place, Brighton, BN1 4GB
Help if you're over 26 years old
If you are 26 years old or over and are homeless or at risk of homelessness you can contact our Housing Needs service:
- Fill in our online Housing Advice Form
- phone 01273 294 400. Our phone lines are open:
- Monday 9am to 4:30pm
- Tuesday 9am to 4:30pm
- Wednesday 1pm to 4:30pm
- Thursday 9am to 4:30pm
- Friday 9am to 4:30pm
- send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- visit in person at Bartholomew House, Bartholomew Square, Brighton, BN1 1JE
A member of the team will contact you and an appointment will be made with a Homelessness Prevention Officer. You'll be told what documents and information you'll need for this appointment.
You must bring proof of your:
- identity, such as your passport or ID card - including your date of birth
- National Insurance number
- eviction notice and tenancy agreement, if you’ve been asked to leave by your landlord
- income, for example bank statements, wage slips or proof of welfare benefits
- children, for example child benefit or tax credit letter and birth certificates
- pregnancy, for example a letter from your GP or midwife, or your MAT B1 form
- medical conditions, for example a patient summary/letter from your GP or hospital
- immigration status, for example a passport or other document that shows you have the right to live in the UK
If you are homeless and have nowhere to sleep outside of office hours, please contact:
- our out of hours duty Housing Needs service
- phone: 01273 294400
- Shelter helpline open 8am to 8pm on weekdays and 9am to 5pm on weekends
- phone: 0808 800 4444
Get help if you're at risk of homelessness at an early stage (in more than 56 days)
Are you having problems which make it difficult to stay in your home, such as:
- rent arrears or other debt worries
- arguments at home or relationship breakdowns
- difficulties with your neighbours, landlord or estate agent
- problems with repairs or adaptations
- changes to your household
- changes to your health
If you have difficulties completing our online form, please send an email to email@example.com. We'll be happy to help you.
Duty to refer
Let us know if you think someone is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.