Check if you can make an improvement

Before you start any work to improve your council home, you need to ask us if you can make the change first.

This includes building sheds, garages, greenhouses or extra fencing.

You have to pay for any improvements and find qualified tradespeople to carry out the work yourself.

We'll normally only stop you making a change if the work will:

  • affect the safety of your building
  • cause a future problem with maintenance of the property
  • cause nuisance to your neighbours

If you can make the improvement

A member of our housing team or a surveyor may visit your home to decide if you can start the work.

You may also need to get planning permission or building regulations approval. We'll tell you who to contact for this.

When you've finished, our surveyor will normally check the work and let you know if there's anything you need to change.

If you can't make the improvement

If we decide to stop you making a change and you disagree with the decision, you can contact us by:

Ask for CCTV

You also need to ask us if you want to have CCTV at your council home.

You can download our application for home CCTV (PDF 21KB) and email it to us at