COVID-19 update: Discretionary Gardening Scheme. From 1st July 2020 the Gardening Scheme has restarted if you have any queries please contact housing Customer Services on 01273 293030 and leave a message and someone will call you back.

Who can apply

You can apply for gardening help at your council home if you're over 70 years of age and you receive Housing Benefit.

You can also apply if you receive:

  • Disability Living Allowance and Housing Benefit
  • Personal Independence Payment and Housing Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance and Housing Benefit

We may ask for proof of any benefits you receive.

Before applying you need to make sure you:

  • have no one living in your property who can help with your garden
  • have no legal notices against your tenancy
  • are up to date with paying your rent
  • don't have an allotment
  • aren't in the middle of buying your property with Right to Buy

We can't help with gardening if your garden is overgrown. For help to clear your garden you can call us on 01273 293 030.

How to apply

You can apply for gardening help at your council home online.

If you need help with applying, you can call us on 01273 293 030.

We'll let you know if your application is successful by email or text.

When you'll get help

We can't make a set appointment to help with your garden.

Our gardeners follow gardening routes (PDF 13KB) around the city when visiting council homes who've signed up for help. Each round of visits takes around 2 months, depending on the weather.

You need to make sure your garden is clear of rubbish at all times so our gardeners can carry out their work.