Apply for the Transfer Support Scheme

If you're a housing association tenant, you can apply for a transfer from family-sized or adapted housing to a smaller property.

What is Transfer Support?

The Transfer Support Scheme allows housing association tenants to move to a smaller property if they:

  • have one or more bedrooms that they no longer need
  • have a property adapted for accessibility they no longer need

It means larger properties can be made available for more suitable households like families or people with disabilities.

You can only transfer to another council or housing association property.

By using the scheme you will:

  • be prioritised for a move through Homemove
  • pay less rent and running costs at a smaller property
  • help someone with a greater need for the housing you're currently living in
  • get support during the transfer process from a specialist caseworker

You should also contact your housing association to check if they can offer you a payment for transferring.

How to apply

You can apply for transfer support as part of the application to join the housing register.

If you're already on the housing register, you can log in to Homemove and choose the 'submit a change of circumstances' option.

You can also download and fill in our Transfer Support form (PDF 187KB). Scan and email your completed form to us at

If you need help with your application, call us on 01273 294 400 and choose option 1.